18 speed repair

MACKTRUCKS4

A friend of mine just bought a 06 Granite with an 18 speed. The problem is the case is leaking where they bolt together. He asked me if you can split the case in the truck to replace the gasket. Has anyone done this while in the truck on a 18 speed?

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Yes the rear case can be removed but you must fabricate,beg or steal the tool to hold the countershafts in place.I made one which consists of an old hi/lo range fork with a nole drilled in it. A bolt is removed from main drive gear bearing holder and a piece of threaded rod is screwed in it's place and goes thru fork and a nut is put on to draw syncro assy. tight which holds countershafts in place. I could loan it if you wanted to cover UPS . Steve

My suggestion would be to pull the tranny, set it up with the south side up and remove the rear case. It would be a good time to inspect the synchronizer and other components. Removing the rear case of a 13/18 speed in chassis is a chore with the proper tools and experience. To try to do this with homemade tools and never having done this, I think, would be a disaster. Just my $.02

I contacted my local mack dealer which help me out any chance they get. I asked the service manager to loan me the tools to do the job and they said no problem. The best part is they deliver the tools to me when they bring the parts, can't beat that. I've rebuilt several transmissions in the past, including 6, 12, and 8LL's but never still in the truck. I'm always up to a good challenge so next weekend we will do it. Thanks for the help and I will let you's know how I make out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the transmission, started Friday afternoon and finished Saturday night. All went well for the first time with the trans still in the truck. The right tool made the difference to hold the gears in.

Glad it went ok for you, I personally do not like working on them things in chassis. Luckily, I rarely have to do that.

Me neather! You want a job? WE do one of these a month at our shop you can come up my way and get some more practice if you Like!!! :notworthy:

We have to plates you can do two at once! :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Me neather! You want a job? WE do one of these a month at our shop you can come up my way and get some more practice if you Like!!! :notworthy:

We have to plates you can do two at once! :whistling:

We have a guy in our shop that does these in 4-6 hours. As long as he works here I have nothing to worry about because there is no way I can do them in that time.