Father just bought a (used) Jeep Liberty w/ 2.8 oil burner

1958 F.W.D.

Dad just bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8 I4 VGT oil burner (made by VM Motari.)

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=11

Has 99,000 miles on it. From what Dad has read online, he will be preventively replacing the timing belt immediately and possibly the water pump as well.

Anyone have any experience with one of these, or something else with one of thier engines? I never heard of them, but understand them to be a very popular marine engine in Europe.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I owned a 2006 Liberty with 2.8L CRD engine and LOVED IT! However I traded it when it had 100K miles (out of warranty). I never had any issues but heard the timing belt needs to be replaced ($$$$) and something I was concerned about was the EGR valve. The EGR is the weak link in this engine and expensive to replace also. It ran great, high 20s for mileage, and pulled 4K# without blinking an eye. Torque converters were also an issue in the 2005 models and there was a recall. I would guess your Dad's has been upgraded.

The engine is made by VM Motori (Italian mfr). I would not be surprised to see them again in MOPAR trucks (and cars) now that they are owned by Fiat. The Mercedes 3.0L V6 was offered in the Grand Cherokee - now that was a sweet engine.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Thanks Ken, I passed that info onto Pop. He's getting the timing belt replaced today, told him while the guy was in there may as well go ahead and do the EGR valve too. He's really excited about this vehicle, I have to admit I am kind of jealous. I was trying like hell to find one back in April-May of last year when I was vehicle shopping but everyone I talked too said "good luck trying to find a used one."

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Have his dealer check to see if the torque converter was updated.

The CRD (Diesel) Liberty was only made in 2005 and 2006. Most dealers never sold one. I used to know the production numbers but Jeep did not make very many. Finding one (especially a nice one) is difficult. Tell your Dad - good luck and I hope he has many "fun" miles.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"