Questions about antique mack in louisiana

Wow guys all this info has defiantly pointed me in the right direction. Sorry it took so long to respond was out earning that dollar. It also brought up a question sense I've decided to do antique tags am I still able to cross state lines with logs or stopping at weigh stations sense it's just personal transport and not used for monantary gain. Oh and slpwlker I'm in covington on the northshore of lake ponchatrain.

• Like 1

Wow guys all this info has defiantly pointed me in the right direction. Sorry it took so long to respond was out earning that dollar. It also brought up a question sense I've decided to do antique tags am I still able to cross state lines with logs or stopping at weigh stations sense it's just personal transport and not used for monantary gain. Oh and slpwlker I'm in covington on the northshore of lake ponchatrain.

Cool almost to Hammond

My 1992 MH has a GCVW of 55K lbs. It weighs ~14K lbs. empty. I licensed it at 26K lbs. to avoid potential DOT "crap". I do have a Class A CDL and medical card. In Ohio, the vehicle must be 25 years old (i.e. 1987 or older) to be licensed as a HISTORICAL vehicle. The rule states it can only be driven to shows, etc. Farm plates in OH limit your driving within a 150 mile driving radius.

If you do not plan to haul commercially with your truck, here is an "exemption" I found in the regs - FMCSA 390.3(f)(3) which states

(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—

(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise

as others have stated...NOT FOR HIRE

I have this information on the side of my truck to hopefully avoid any BS if I get stopped.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Hi Paul, Here's a couple of things I've learned about the MA Laws......if registering it as an antique you can either get regular mass antique plates from the registry.....or use a "year of manufacture" plate which is an old plate you supply which has to be the year your truck was made or if no plate was issued that year it has to be the next oldest plate made......you only need one if that's all you have. As far as a CDL being needed who knows.....I called around a few years back and got a different answer every time.....I do know that if your looking to get a CDL just for going over the 26,000 gvw, it's just a written test. But if your truck has air brakes then you need to take a road test. I thought about getting mine a while back, then my department had us go through a "CDL" class....the road test was pretty easy....the hardest part was visualizing what the cones were.....theres about a million cones in a parking lot and some are a loading dock.....some for backing up....some are zig zagging through....E.TC. Then the instructor gave a lecture......basically saying There were drawbacks to getting a C.D.L if you didn't need one.....according to him, he has seen first hand....MA lawyers hold people to a higher standard....even in their personal vehicle .....just because of the CDL.....there were other things to, like a lower legal limit. But who knows for sure in this freaking state.......I do know a farmer in R.I. , I think when he turned 70 they wanted him to take a road test every year......which is B.S......he's been driving a truck since he was 11.....Anyway, good luck with your truck and getting your license.....I'm sure you'll be fine

• Like 1

Paul I had no idea my first post would turn out like this I'm amazed at how helpful everyone is its great. Now what truck would you guys recommend to restore I've got my heart set on an h or f model but parts are more available for the b model unless I just haven't came across the right websites yet

• Like 1