engine wont start without either

i have a 99 ch 613 e tech 460, my engine wont start 8 out of 10 times without starting fluid it takes just a littie shot and it will fire off no white smoke or any for that matter, turns over but wont start. also codes 1 3, 2 1, and 2 3 come up contiously during operation. can anyone help thanks.

Next time it won't start, check to see if it has a primer pump on it, it should have one. Pump it severat times or until you notice a change in the resistance. Then try to start it. There's no way it should require ether. I suspect your problem has to do with loosing it's fuel prime.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Next time it won't start, check to see if it has a primer pump on it, it should have one. Pump it severat times or until you notice a change in the resistance. Then try to start it. There's no way it should require ether. I suspect your problem has to do with loosing it's fuel prime.

i have strong resistance immediately when pumping

code 13 is fuel temp sensor 21 is coolant temp 23 is intake temp ... sounds like fuel supply pump issue can check and make sure engine module is not contaminated with coolant or oil check your low coolant sensor in surge tank unplug it and look in connection. Does the truck run good other then hard to start?

i pulled ecm off engine cleaned pins they were corroded pretty bad put it back engine runs smooth but still wont start, supply pump seems ok it has good resistance after a couple of pushes on pump, you just have to shoot a short quick shot of either to fire it off thanks for responding ill check sensor connections, if you think of anything else i would appreciate hearing it thanks again

Check the ground relay, could have a loose/bad connection. The ground relay also may popping open when cranking the engine. Had a truck in the shop several years ago doing the same thing, ended up having a bad starter-pulling too much amperage and was causing the ground breaker to become open while cranking the engine. Hope this helps.

where is ground relay located? replaced starter, it was bad. I have not checked g relay but nextran told me to check starter for amp draw, that was a problem but did not check relay. I appreciate responce helps me a bunch, thanks just don't know where g relay is.

• 3 months later...
engine still wont start after replacing position and timing sensors, ground relay, starter, fuel return check valve. Im stumped anybody got a suggestion

starts cold every time wont start after reaching normal operating temp.

I saw one about a month ago and after having it intwo dealers he said all he did was replace the batteys so i guess it was pulling too low voltage when hot. This engine was same year as that and if you think about it a hot engine is harder to turn than a cool engine but not as a cold engine.We have had only cool weather and not real cold so i think he figered it out his self.He would shot some either to it at work and it would start but did not have to either it in the cool mornings.

glenn akers

I saw one about a month ago and after having it intwo dealers he said all he did was replace the batteys so i guess it was pulling too low voltage when hot. This engine was same year as that and if you think about it a hot engine is harder to turn than a cool engine but not as a cold engine.We have had only cool weather and not real cold so i think he figered it out his self.He would shot some either to it at work and it would start but did not have to either it in the cool mornings.

you know I cleaned my battery connections a few days ago and the engine has idled proper ever since. It would idle errattic sometimes and that stopped after the cleaning but those two cables off the batt to the starter are 99 original ill check them and the batts thanks