Toledo, Oh To North Adams, Ma

Hey guys,

There is kind a long story about me buying a bucket truck 750 miles away from where I live. Well, after 3 attempts of trying to drive the truck home unsucessfully I think it is time to look into having the truck hauled.

The truck is:

1975 Ford C-700 tilt cab.

12'4" high

23' long

GVW is 28,000 (not sure of actual weight)

The truck does run and drive. The truck has an overheating problem limiting speed to 38 miles per hour on a cool night. Any faster and the temp gauge keep climbing.

The truck is actually in Ottawa Lake, MI which is just over the state line from Toledo, Ohio. I live in North Adams, Massachusetts. The approximate distance is 650 miles.

Give Mark (me) a call at 413-663-3336 between 8-5 Monday-Friday.

Or, you can try my cel at 413-326-2921.

Here is a pic of the truck to be hauled:IMG_0471.jpg

thanks,

Mark

It's a pretty decent looking rig, are you planning to use it as is? If so, you are going to have to correct the overheating problem at some point. It might be more cost effective to fix it where it's at. The only variables I see are the cost of fuel to drive it home vs the cost to have it towed. State height limits vary from state on interstate, 13.6 to 14.6. At 12.4 that doesn't leave much room for a trailer. IF. it took a couple of bucks per mile, plus maybe some over height permits. The cost to have it moved could eat a $ 1,000 or more of the money you could use to repair the truck. There are a lot's of " if'" involved in this, but you should at least look at them. Do you know why it's overheating? A new water pump, a fan clutch, radiator.whatever. Figure out whats wrong first and then decide what to do. Good luck, James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

Still in need of moving this bucket truck. Any recommendations on who to call?

thanks,

Mark

Berkshire Transmissions

North Adams, Massachusetts

413-663-3336

Mark,

Call Jim Schreiner at (315) 986-7935 and explain your situation. If Jim has anything going from here (Upstate NY) to Ohio or Michigan, Illinois or Indiana, I'm sure he would quote you a price to get your truck home. And - get the actual height of the unit please.

Paul Van Scott

Mark,

Call Jim Schreiner at (315) 986-7935 and explain your situation. If Jim has anything going from here (Upstate NY) to Ohio or Michigan, Illinois or Indiana, I'm sure he would quote you a price to get your truck home. And - get the actual height of the unit please.

Paul Van Scott

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the advice. Well, I ended up going out to Toledo with a radiator and got the truck going. I actually ended up making it all the way back to Massachusetts. With this bucket truck, top speed is about 55. However, the slightest grade puts it down in the 30's. Some hills we were doing 10 mph----which sucked. So, a 12 hour drive took 20 hours. Anyway, the truck is home.

Mark