Trans. Went Bang!

greg

I have an 86 rd 686s with 6 speed with lo hole. Was going down highway today with 18 tons of gravel on and a vibration started, so I pulled over , crawled under checked all u-joints , they were ok. Started back down the road no vibration now. I turn off of main highway started up steep hill in 1st gear , did not shift in hill , all of a sudden the trans. went BANG about three times. Pulled off road and checked underneath .

The truck will move if I really baby it, the minute I give a little throttle it bangs and movement stops. This sounds like the main shaft in trans is broke?

Which is cheaper to rebuild trans I have , or get a reman?

I have an 86 rd 686s with 6 speed with lo hole. Was going down highway today with 18 tons of gravel on and a vibration started, so I pulled over , crawled under checked all u-joints , they were ok. Started back down the road no vibration now. I turn off of main highway started up steep hill in 1st gear , did not shift in hill , all of a sudden the trans. went BANG about three times. Pulled off road and checked underneath .

The truck will move if I really baby it, the minute I give a little throttle it bangs and movement stops. This sounds like the main shaft in trans is broke?

Hi Greg, if you would like, give me a call as I may have access to what you can use possibly?

Thanks,

Rob Swallows

309-219-2070

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Greg, if you would like, give me a call as I may have access to what you can use possibly?

Thanks,

Rob Swallows

309-219-2070

Thanks Rob, I haven't decided what to do yet , might upgrade and sell truck for parts.

greg

It sounds to me as if one of your differentials has failed.

Probably lost a tooth or 2 off the ring and pinion, or maybe the bull gears.

I can't count the times someone has said "my transmission is bad, it's making a banging noise", and it turned out to be a rear end problem.

The noises from a failed rear end get carried up the driveline and you feel it in the shifters and it sounds like a trans. problem.

There's always the chance it could be the transmission, but have someone stand next to the truck while you slowly move it, and see if they hear noises coming from the rears.

If so, pull the side covers and have a look at the gears in the rear ends, before you automatically assume it's the transmission.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

It sounds to me as if one of your differentials has failed.

Probably lost a tooth or 2 off the ring and pinion, or maybe the bull gears.

I can't count the times someone has said "my transmission is bad, it's making a banging noise", and it turned out to be a rear end problem.

The noises from a failed rear end get carried up the driveline and you feel it in the shifters and it sounds like a trans. problem.

There's always the chance it could be the transmission, but have someone stand next to the truck while you slowly move it, and see if they hear noises coming from the rears.

If so, pull the side covers and have a look at the gears in the rear ends, before you automatically assume it's the transmission.

That's good "food for thought" Herb. I've been around a lot of broken differentials; All single drive axle that would not move a vehicle once failed. I suppose a Mack inter axle power divider with it's full time driving ability would still power the truck forward on the opposite of the failed axle. It would reason that as the missing or broken teeth engaged and let go, the result would be quite noisy and a severe shock to the driveline.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well you guys are good! It was the rear rear end carrier. I pulled the cover off both rears and found nothing but shavings and teeth on the cover magnets. The front rear was just like new . picking up a used one tomorrow for 700.00.

thanks for the help.

greg