Valve Timing Etech7 460

Need help. I know where the timing marks are on the fly wheel for 1 & 6, 3 & 4, 2 & 5. But, I need to know how to find #1 TDC and what order to set the rest of the valves in. Do I set intake and exhaust at the same time on each cylinder? I took the the truck to shop today to have the valve timing set, and they really screwed it up. I need to get back on the road. Please advise.

Thanks,

FHI

Need help. I know where the timing marks are on the fly wheel for 1 & 6, 3 & 4, 2 & 5. But, I need to know how to find #1 TDC and what order to set the rest of the valves in. Do I set intake and exhaust at the same time on each cylinder? I took the the truck to shop today to have the valve timing set, and they really screwed it up. I need to get back on the road. Please advise.

Thanks,

FHI

My addvice is take it back thet may need the practice glenn

glenn akers

You didn't mention an engine brake. Any time the valves are set, you need to go back through the engine brake setting also. Go to www.tecbrake.net and look at the file. It will walk you through the procedure. Valves are set the same with or without an engine brake. To find no. 1 on the compression stroke. set the timing pointer at the flywheel at 1-6. Then with the valve covers off, look at the valves and rockers on cylinders 1 and 6. If you have one valve partially open on 6. and both valves closed on 1, then you are at no. 1. If one valve is cocked open on no.1 and both closed on no 6 . then you are at no.6. It does not matter where you start, you just need to stay in sequence, 153624. Adjust both ex. and in. on each cyl. On the back of a business card or scrap of paper, make yourself a small chart that you can tape somewhere to look at while you work, Print 153 and directly under these no.'s print 624. If you get lost look at your chart, Say your timing pointer is at 3-4, look at the valves on 3 and 4. if you have one valve open on 4, then set the valves on 3. As you rotate the flywheel from timing mark to timing mark, be sure to follow normal crank shaft rotation. If you go past the timing mark, back it up past the mark, then pull it to it. That will eliminate any slack or clearance in the cam gear train. Close is good for horse shoes and hand grenades. If at anytime you feel like you are in over your head STOP. GET some help. A good engine can turn into a pile of scrap very quickly. Hope you get back up and going soon, James

Thanks,

FHI

The valve set marks are on the flywheel!Those marks you found ARE valve set marks!. Set in order of firing order if it has a jake set it at the same time!

• 7 months later...