Fuel Line Bleed

GGB3_MS

Hey Y'all:

My b61 with NA 711 has run great for years. I was fixin to move her and she started right up. I moved about 20 feet and stopped. It was running a little rough and not getting fuel. She ran like this for a few minutes and cut off. I pumped the primer on the injector pump and never did feel any fuel. I had a small dripping leak in the hose that goes from the secondary fuel filter to the top area of the injector pump. I checked and no fuel comining up the line from the tank. It has plenty of fuel and the lines are clear. Anyway, what I am asking is, what is the best way to get her primed from the tank all the way (at least) to the secondary filter and then the injector? Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

Anytime I have been that air bound or change fuel lines, I disconect the line at the injector and pressurize the tank with compressed air to force the fuel through and clear the air from the lines. I usually use a blow gun with a rag wrapped around to keep the air from escaping. You don't need alot of air just a few good shots and fuel should flow. Have someone watch the line and when no more air comes through reconnect the line to the injector. If it still won't start you will have to bleed each injector. Hope this helps, Art

I use an old fuel cap and drilled a hole,and installed a metal valve stem,and useing a regulator pressurize the system. If pressurizing tanks does not work you might have a primer problem,I have run into that problem a few times over the years. Another thing off topic a little is if you every need to change lines below tank level is to get a friend,and a good wet/dry vacuum,and put hose in top of tank(not in fuel,pack rags around hose to make a "seal" and turn it on. I used to do it that way to change crossovers,and other lines below tank level

James Spurlock

Palmyra,Pa

I have on old Chrysler Charger which I don't start for a couple of months. When I did start it, I used to crank the engine over and over and over just to get the mechanical fuel pump to get fuel to the triple SU carbs in order to be able to start the engine. Not good for the old starter motor or battery.

So, I installed an electric fuel pump in line with it's own switch.

Now, before I start, I just prime the fuel for a fuel seconds with the electric fuel pump and then start the engine normally. Works very well.

My B61 is in a very similar situation. ie I have to pump the primer for ages to get the air out before attempting a start. And so I've been thinking for awhile about doing a similar installation on the old girl.

Just use the electric primer to get the fuel pressure up and bleed the system and then push that air start button to hear one of the greatest sounds around.

Has anyone done this on a truck?

Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

I have had to install electric fuel pumps,at my old job for us air express. They were put on perkins diesels,cause no mechanical pumps were available. It was noisy,and no power,and limited speed,cause the electric pump only pumps at one set speed,half throttle,full throttle were the same. Only good thing was it was easy to bleed the glass on block fuel filter. you might be able to install the elctric pump on her to use as a primer,using shut-off,and T fittings,but you sound as if you have a system leak on the intake side of pump. I would check all lines,and especially gaskets,and the filter mounts first,then look at primer pump area,she might have a small air leak when primer is in stored position

James Spurlock

Palmyra,Pa

I use an old fuel cap and drilled a hole,and installed a metal valve stem,and useing a regulator pressurize the system. If pressurizing tanks does not work you might have a primer problem,I have run into that problem a few times over the years. Another thing off topic a little is if you every need to change lines below tank level is to get a friend,and a good wet/dry vacuum,and put hose in top of tank(not in fuel,pack rags around hose to make a "seal" and turn it on. I used to do it that way to change crossovers,and other lines below tank level

I am having hell of a time finding an old fuel cap. Know of any places that sell them?

Thanks,

George

you should be able to measure the OD of fill area and get a cap to match. I used to have 5 different sizes,till I went to work for a dealer,and then all but 2 disappeared. I was lucky we had a "big truck" graveyard near where I worked. They had tons of makes,and years of trucks in thier yard.

James Spurlock

Palmyra,Pa