no high range on tranny

i'm buying this ch613 gravel truck, the truck has an 18 speed tranny which only drives on low gears, and the guy told me that the oil cooler has to be replaced, so you guys think it is worth it the headaches buying it, is the tranny has to be replaced or is it repairable. the truck worth easy $30k when it is running, i'm only paying now $10k.

give me your oppinions.

thanks.

I lost the high range on my 2180B not too long ago...low range was fine. $5300 for the tow (too damn far to limp home in low range) & partial rebuild. FWIW, the possibility of a new (318) transmission was discussed, because one of the gears needed wouldn't be available again at their distrubutors until July...but they found a dealer that had one on their shelf willing to part with it. New transmission would have been in the $8K neighborhood.

So, if you're buying a $30K truck for $10K and all it needs is a transmission, I think you're getting a heck of a deal. If there's more wrong with it, add up what those repairs would cost. If you can fix it up and have less in it than it would cost to buy the truck in perfect working order, and you have the money to buy the truck & fix it, then I'd say go for it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Engine oil cooler is not that big a deal to repair/replace, fairly common. On the trans, it's not necessarily got to be the synchro assy. Could b slave valve, or range cylinder vent stopped up or gummed up. Does it try to shift range at all?

When u flip the lever, ushould hear air exhaust from the slave valve on the trans, if no air then it's not the synchro. Also, sometimes the pinch bolt in the range fork will back out and let the fork slip on the shaft. U can take the back shift top off to inspect for this, or drain trans and remove rear pot cover and inspect that way