endt 675

Jocko

hey guys in my vocational diesel class i took apart and reassembled a mack 675. everything went together fine. the problem im having is that everytime we go to start it, it just keeps trying to run away once it fires.i took the injector pump off and reconditioned it(took it apart and inspected it,and freed it up and cleaned it).all the injectors were pop tested and work fine.I think that its running away on uncontrolled fuel because once it fires it just pours black smoke out of the exhaust. And we also timed the engine. Im hoping that somebody on this forum could help me diagnose the problem.

Thanks, Garrett

Your lucky Garret. We have this thing like that up here called BOCES that you can take while in school. You can do diesel mechanics (which im doing) electrician and alto of other stuff. I guess thats kind of what your class is like. But we dodnt have no Mack motors to work on I dont think (thats why your lucky because you guys do). Last time I took a tour of BOCES they had a CASE tractor in there. :blush:

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

yea vinny we have one mack engine, two cats, four detroits ,and two cummins one of them is a 2007.all the old engines have been there for 25 years so theve been raped like crazy(missing parts,stripped nuts,etc).It took a lot of work to get that mack going every bolt that was missing i had to make.my teacher told me that im the first student in 6 years to get that mack to fire.I remember the first day i went in there I set a goal for myself to get that mack to run.

Thats just awesome.

• Like 1

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Your lucky Garret. We have this thing like that up here called BOCES that you can take while in school. You can do diesel mechanics (which im doing) electrician and alto of other stuff. I guess thats kind of what your class is like. But we dodnt have no Mack motors to work on I dont think (thats why your lucky because you guys do). Last time I took a tour of BOCES they had a CASE tractor in there. :blush:

I went to BOCES during my junior and senior years in high school. In the diesel class we had a 237 maxidyne,1693 Cat, and a 6V-71 Detroit from a bus which was still mounted in the frame and even had the chrome rear bumper still attached. Good Times.

• Like 1

Jim

well we got the mack goin and and it ran fine the only thing the turbo had a bad seal so once it ran good oil started shootin out of the exhaust. my teacher has a spare seal and he put it on for me in the afternoon class so tommorow morning were gonna fire it up again i'll take the video

yea vinny we have one mack engine, two cats, four detroits ,and two cummins one of them is a 2007.all the old engines have been there for 25 years so theve been raped like crazy(missing parts,stripped nuts,etc).It took a lot of work to get that mack going every bolt that was missing i had to make.my teacher told me that im the first student in 6 years to get that mack to fire.I remember the first day i went in there I set a goal for myself to get that mack to run.

That is very admirable Jocko - keep it up! Set attainable goals, and once you finish them, step it up another notch. Never stop learning.

I also went to BOCES, we had a R model for a live unit and a couple mack engines on stands, along with a some other brands of trucks and engines to tear apart. Most of the engines on stands were cummins, being that the l-10 were built less than 5 miles from the school.

• Like 1