B Model Tail Light conversion

My 56 B (12V, Alternator) has two rear turn signals and two combination tail/stop lights. It also has a new Galion dump body with turn signals high up in the rear corners. I want to clean up the lighting by eliminating the 4 lights and replacing with two oblong combo stop/turn/tail lights.

I bought new Trucklites (Model 60) that have a ground wire, a tail lamp wire and a stop wire. For starters, I cut the hot wire on one of the turn signals and did a test by attaching it to the "stop" wire then turning the turn signal on. It worked.

Now my question is, the existing stop/tail lamps have two wires-I assume one is the stop and one the tail light. I have guys telling me that IF I hook the stop light wire to the new stop wire on the Trucklite together with the turn signal wire, when step on the brakes, the current will also flow back to the FRONT turn signal. I'm also told I can get a "box" that will allow me to make this connection without backfeeding to the front turn signals.

Anyone have a clue what that "box" is called? For what its worth, the turn signal switch is a SignalStat 900.

A appreciate any responses.

My 56 B (12V, Alternator) has two rear turn signals and two combination tail/stop lights. It also has a new Galion dump body with turn signals high up in the rear corners. I want to clean up the lighting by eliminating the 4 lights and replacing with two oblong combo stop/turn/tail lights.

I bought new Trucklites (Model 60) that have a ground wire, a tail lamp wire and a stop wire. For starters, I cut the hot wire on one of the turn signals and did a test by attaching it to the "stop" wire then turning the turn signal on. It worked.

Now my question is, the existing stop/tail lamps have two wires-I assume one is the stop and one the tail light. I have guys telling me that IF I hook the stop light wire to the new stop wire on the Trucklite together with the turn signal wire, when step on the brakes, the current will also flow back to the FRONT turn signal. I'm also told I can get a "box" that will allow me to make this connection without backfeeding to the front turn signals.

Anyone have a clue what that "box" is called? For what its worth, the turn signal switch is a SignalStat 900.

A appreciate any responses.

It is called a backfeed Isolator. At least around here.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well I spoke too soon and the frustration grows. Friday around 4:50 I threw my hands up in the air and went on line-found a number of the distributor and a gal refrred me to Valley Towing Products tech service 800 line.-of course It was 4:59 by then and I got the VM. so I sent them an e-mail.

this morning one of my buddies asked about the trailer plug that the Mack has and a light bulb lit. As the attached picture shows, this device I'm wiring in is for a trailer plug and allows a 3 bulb vehicle (stop, tail, turn) to function with a 2 bulb (stop/turn, tail) trailer set up. The tag trailer plug IS set up for a 2 bulb system. so I'm thinking one weay or another I'm confusing the issue.

Just for yuks, I tested the trailer socket with the "box" connected. The turn signals work and the stop lights work-tail lights do not.. On the triuck, the tailights work but the TS and SL's do not!-just the opposite.

WE will see what the tech hotline says on Monday AM!

post-1625-0-65927600-1336273162_thumb.jp

Well the Tech hotline at Valley had no clue.

Steps I've taken:

1. Tested Trucklite lamp with appropriate hotwire. stop, tail,and turn signals worked.

2. Hooked up lamp to appropriate "trailer" side of Valley converter grounded direct to ground in battery box, then tested each light "hot wire" direct to battery positive. all three worked-agai9n this was going through the Valley "box".

3.go to rear of truck,-again " SOS" - turn signals and stop lamps won't work. Tailights do-so the ground has to be good.

Any suggestions? point of info, this truck has a new Galion dump body-with turn signals mounted high up in corner posts-they work-get their feed off hot wires that go to rear crossmember. also has a trailer connection for an air brake equipped tag trailer.

?????????????