MB vs CF?

docthrush

I have been looking into getting another engine. The first one I had was an mc. Now that I am looking again I saw a couple posts (not on this site) that basically said that the MB series in the 70s was Mack's "economy" truck when compared to the other lines they had at the time. I also saw that the my series with the Howe body is not the greatest either. Anyone have any info/thoughts on any of that? I just don't want to get a MB and end up having issues with it due to quality I guess.

I like the MC because it is different, it seems most people go for the CF series ( probably because it is better looking lol)

Thanks

Doc

The Mack "MB" was developed in the 1960s as a city delivery truck. It was available as both a straight truck and a tractor. Around 1972 or 73 Mack introduced a fire apparatus

version of the "MB"; it definitely was an economy model especially when compared to the "CF". For many small departments the "MB" was their first "custom" apparatus. Both

the "MB" and the "R" model fire trucks had bodies built by Howe and other manufacturers (Thibault, Hamerly, etc.). During the 1970s fire apparatus from many manufacturers

had serious rust problems. I saw trucks from Mack, ALF, and Ward LaFrance and all had to have new bodies installed at some point.

My department had "CF"s and "MB"s and while the "MB"s were reliable their quality could not compare to the "CF"s. As a truck for a collector I would think that an "MB" in

good condition would be fine.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have a mb in our dept,it is still being used as a front line pice. She's a 78 with a hamerly body has 40,000 miles and has seen a large amount of fire but still don't match the quality of a cf but I think the mb was and still is a grate truck and I would prefer it over anything modern.

Rudy

• 2 weeks later...