Engine seizing when warm

Olivetroad

I bought a truck recently - can't say what brand - would get laughed at - hurt my feelings - boo hoo

The four cylinder diesel starts great and it runs great with no smoke, no noise, plenty of power. Once it gets up to operating temp, it starts to lose power and then if you keep driving, it starts putting out black smoke that smells funny - kind of burned, and then it dies and the starter can barely turn it over. It acts like it is seizing up. I unhooked all the safety shutdown stuff so I know that is not going on. If you leave it for an hour or more, so it cools down - it starts up like a normal one again.

I have run it at different lengths of time, if you leave it in the shop at idle, it never gets hot enough to mess up, so I do not think it is the fuel pump doing something weird.

Any ideas?

I screwed up and wrote in the listing that it is a four cylinder - now you are going to guess what it is.

I bought a truck recently - can't say what brand - would get laughed at - hurt my feelings - boo hoo

The four cylinder diesel starts great and it runs great with no smoke, no noise, plenty of power. Once it gets up to operating temp, it starts to lose power and then if you keep driving, it starts putting out black smoke that smells funny - kind of burned, and then it dies and the starter can barely turn it over. It acts like it is seizing up. I unhooked all the safety shutdown stuff so I know that is not going on. If you leave it for an hour or more, so it cools down - it starts up like a normal one again.

I have run it at different lengths of time, if you leave it in the shop at idle, it never gets hot enough to mess up, so I do not think it is the fuel pump doing something weird.

Any ideas?

I screwed up and wrote in the listing that it is a four cylinder - now you are going to guess what it is.

Sounds Mitsubishi to me but that's just a guess. I would change the fuel filters and rubber lines first. This sounds like the draw on the tank is sucking up crap until the filter restricts, and then falls away when shut down, or the suction lines are swollen and closing internally. Seen this type scenario played out before. Doesn't sound like anything major being that power returns when setting inoperating for a while. Don't forget to ensure the tank vent is open to atmosphere also.

The difficulty in cranking when warm almost sounds like a weak cell in the storage battery. Have you had it load tested?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

its having problems because its not a MACK. lol

Vinny -

I read what you said, as I prepare for my bed, in fact I think you planted a thought in my head.

For you see Mister U, while what you say is quite true, it really does not make me sad or turn blue,

I buy these brand X trucks, not to keep, like a good herd of white sheep, but to resell and make bucks, which is handier to trade at the store than a duck.

In these recent years past, while they have moved rather fast, have allowed me to see, the wisdom of owning a DM600, a R600 and now a Frankenstein B!

• Like 2

Vinny -

I read what you said, as I prepare for my bed, in fact I think you planted a thought in my head.

For you see Mister U, while what you say is quite true, it really does not make me sad or turn blue,

I buy these brand X trucks, not to keep, like a good herd of white sheep, but to resell and make bucks, which is handier to trade at the store than a duck.

In these recent years past, while they have moved rather fast, have allowed me to see, the wisdom of owning a DM600, a R600 and now a Frankenstein B!

im sorry about busting on you olive, you know im a friend. thats seriously a good poem though :clap: do you have any pics of your r600?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg