Rockwell Axle with Brakes:

Rob

I'm going to be needing one of these for my RL797 in NV. It does not have front brakes. It is on Budd hubs and I'd like to either have the complete axle, or brakes only from one. The axle under my other RL797L is a "900" series Rockwell. I'd prefer cam brakes if possible.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Whuddaya need brakes fer? Alls they do is slow ya down! :tease:

Ahhh I know what you mean. Specially since all three back axles already have brakes! What the hell would a guy need more for? I just kinda like front brakes is all.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm going to be needing one of these for my RL797 in NV. It does not have front brakes. It is on Budd hubs and I'd like to either have the complete axle, or brakes only from one. The axle under my other RL797L is a "900" series Rockwell. I'd prefer cam brakes if possible.

Thanks,

Rob

Everyone used that axle. Everyone did not use the RS or RL spring pad spacing. The best way to deal with adding front brakes is to leave your axle in place, and find a later axle with outboard drums, and swap out the spindles. Use your existing steering arm. Finding backing plates that fit your spindles, sounds like a good idea, but probably just won't happen, even though the spindle is drilled for them. If you Remember, I bought a 77 Frightliner to piggyback my RS back to Ga. from Oregon, and I used the spindles off it to retrofit my RS.

Everyone used that axle. Everyone did not use the RS or RL spring pad spacing. The best way to deal with adding front brakes is to leave your axle in place, and find a later axle with outboard drums, and swap out the spindles. Use your existing steering arm. Finding backing plates that fit your spindles, sounds like a good idea, but probably just won't happen, even though the spindle is drilled for them. If you Remember, I bought a 77 Frightliner to piggyback my RS back to Ga. from Oregon, and I used the spindles off it to retrofit my RS.

Hi James, I did know what you are speaking of. I've just not found anything in the short time I've been looking. The "900" series axle was common and I will do as you suggest as I'd like to have the outboard drums. The other two trucks I've done the brakes on use Rockwell "P" series shoes, but if possible, I'd like to go a little newer style. I don't think this will be hard to convert at all once parts are located. I need to take a junkyard tour next weekend but don't want to start purchasing anything until actually knowing what axle series is under the truck.

Got anymore done on the RS?

Thanks,

Rob