I pulled my water pump off my V-8 and it had more play in it than I think it should. So I ordered a new one but my question is how do you know if the housing is worn? New housings are "not" available and the rotor was hitting the housing as you can see ware marks in the rotor. I am hoping the housing is harder steel than the rotor. The housing shows no ware marks. In the summer the water temp would rise to 220 but the oil temp would climb to 250 so I thought maybe the oil cooler but pulled that apart and it looked fine. So than I thought maybe the water pump was not circulating enough water and with the play I found, I think that is the problem but not sure on the housing. :idunno:

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

An engine water pump is not a positive displacement pump. It is solely a circulator pump. If the impeller clearance to housing is equidistant on all sides it will move water. Typical clearance between a housing and impeller is between .050-.100 in automotive type applications. When the clearance becomes uneven due to worn bearings they do not circulate as well although they still do.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If the housing is made of Cast like the 675-675 engines,I think the impeller would wear before housing. Joe D.

That is usually the case with all cast iron housings as the steel, or bronze impeller is softer than the housing.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have a spare housing and I measured both using clay with the new rotor, and both where the same, .035. My rotor is made of cast. You can see on the ends of the blades that they are rough cast where as the old one was worn down from hitting the housing.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.