Trucking News: Cargo Securement: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You Under CSA

BMT Forum Bot

I read this article in HDT. I didn't know that if the tag with the WLL on it is gone off a strap they can count it as only a 1,000 lb. WLL or as no strap at all. I have several straps that the tag has blown off of but they're in perfect condition otherwise. That's just stupid. I would hope that if the DOT checks mine they will have some common sense about it and not be a dick but you never know.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I had a guy show up with a flatbed to pick up some goodies the other day and he had a cool set of some sort of industrial velco that he wrapped around the leftover unused tail end of the strap to keep it from blowing. He also used it to hold the rolled up straps when he stored them. Wonder where a fella can get such a thing?

Hell I've taken old straps and cut them to like 6" strips. Put eyes in them and put them in between the chains for protectors so they can't say I have metal on metal. With the eyes I can bungee them in place. Got tired of loosing any rubber I put between them and get 1 good bounce and the rubber becomes history. Got about 6 of these and plan on making more. Also make great edge protectors for the straps

Because of the nature of the LTL business, I sometime have to display multiple hazmat placards on the trailer which makes the truck a target scale houses. I was pulled around at the scale on I-68 in Frostburg, MD at around 1:00 one morning and the officer climbed through the entire trailer checking the various hazmat bills to make sure all was secure. Fortunately those scales are usually closed at night.

Jim

Because of the nature of the LTL business, I sometime have to display multiple hazmat placards on the trailer which makes the truck a target scale houses. I was pulled around at the scale on I-68 in Frostburg, MD at around 1:00 one morning and the officer climbed through the entire trailer checking the various hazmat bills to make sure all was secure. Fortunately those scales are usually closed at night.

Yeah not only secure making sure everything was compatible. I never cared to do Hz. I got a big enough target when I put my oversize banners on.

I got a big enough target when I put my oversize banners on.

The worst ticket I ever got was one time in a 1980 White Road Boss - (I appreciate your sympathy) That damn thing had a dash so close to the underside of the steering wheel, that I was always jamming my fingers when you had to turn quickly. I was so pissed off from jamming my finger so hard my wedding ring cut into my finger, that I did not bother to take off the overwidth banners from the tractor and lowboy after I unloaded the skidder I was hauling. Some overzealous DOT woman cadet gave me a ticket for having them on with no load. The &*^$%# then tried to give me a ticket for child endangerment because I had two of my kids strapped in with one seat belt. Give me a break........

Yeah not only secure making sure everything was compatible. I never cared to do Hz. I got a big enough target when I put my oversize banners on.

The main compatability concern we deal with is food & poison. On linehaul, the placarding is calculated by someone in the office and I just double check it. Half the time it's pretty straightforward and the rest of the times you need to whip out your fingers and toes and sometimes, an abacus.

In Ohio, the fine to the driver for missing/improper placards is currently $780.

Jim

I guess i'm jaded,but my remedy has always been NOT to flatbed,NOT to carry Haz-Mat,NOT to pull a tanker,NOT to haul livestock,NOT to pull doubles,NOT to fool with overwidth/oversize loads,course' i WAS a household goods mover for over 20 years,that act in-itself sometimes brings my sanity into question by other drivers..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I guess i'm jaded,but my remedy has always been NOT to flatbed,NOT to carry Haz-Mat,NOT to pull a tanker,NOT to haul livestock,NOT to pull doubles,NOT to fool with overwidth/oversize loads,course' i WAS a household goods mover for over 20 years,that act in-itself sometimes brings my sanity into question by other drivers..............Mark

Once a bedbug hauler always a bedbed hauler.

• Like 1

I hate to sound like on of those pissed off truck drivers but it is getting out of control. I have got a DOT guy who goes to my church to give me an inspection when i know everything is right, just to offset silly warnings I get over the road somewhere. If you log all of the time we spend up under the truck on the weekend (which you are supposed to do) getting them ready to run we wouldn't even have any hours left to run during the week. I am not trying to be an outlaw, just want to feed my family.