Modern Macks that I've driven

Inspired by the much appreciated success of my Macks that I've driven thread, I decided to start a new topic featuring trucks from my current job. This thread, like most sequels, will pale in comparison to the original and leave the writer wondering why he didn't leave well enough alone.

In Sept '08, I left Shuster's to take a job as a city driver at Pitt Ohio Express and after 3 years of p&d moved into my current position as a nighttime linehaul driver. As a new driver, I bounced around quite a bit from truck to truck, but only managed to grab a few shots so here goes...

356 & 375 were 2 of 4 Single axle CH's at our terminal. These were all retired with the purchase of 120 new Pinnacles in 2011. I'm gonna miss the look of the basic fleet truck with black Dayton rims.

th_Photo09071305.jpgth_100_2141.jpg

I found this framed picture behind the seat of a truck that was about to be retired. I bought a new frame but kept the old glass because it and the picture have become inseperable. This is a promo shot of an early CH.

th_Picture1001.jpg

When the Vision was introduced there were many problems which I understand led to the decision to buy Sterlings. Visons were still being bought throughout the Sterling era, but in much smaller quantities. Here's a shot of me on I-79 waiting for help. In this case, it was a radiator hose which could happen to any truck

th_cid__Photo07252021.jpg

With the discontinuation of the Sterling brand in 2009, the company tried out various brands and Mack won out. Here's an '08 Pinnacle about to set out on it's maiden voyage.

th_100_2136.jpgth_100_2138.jpgth_100_2137.jpg

Disclaimer: The following photos are of a non-Mack product that is used as a daily driver by the author. Green Dash, BMT and their affiliates are not responsible for emotional or psychological trauma that may result from viewing the next photos.

Here's what I drive while I pass the time waiting for a Pinnacle to be tossed my way:

2006 Steriling AT9513. MBE 4000, 10 speed Roadranger.

th_100_2117.jpg

th_100_2118.jpg

Jim

Pitt Ohio Express must be one of the only trucking companies that uses Ford F-750 straight trucks.

bulldooy

They're not very popular with the drivers. The cabs are much smaller than the Freightliners they replaced and the air seats in the earlier ones were useless. You couldn't air them up without risking having your neck jammed if you hit a moderate bump in the road.

Jim

They're not very popular with the drivers. The cabs are much smaller than the Freightliners they replaced and the air seats in the earlier ones were useless. You couldn't air them up without risking having your neck jammed if you hit a moderate bump in the road.

I had the same problem in one I removed a bed from, if you wear a ball cap with that stupid little button in the middle of the top - you will soon have a dent in the ol' noggin right beneath it

Great pics. I love the disclaimer, although it should be placed at the beginning of the thread. I have the tendcey to look at pics and not read anything until it is to late. -Brad

My bad. I should've considered that since I do the same thing.

Remember, times heals all wounds.

Jim

I had the same problem in one I removed a bed from, if you wear a ball cap with that stupid little button in the middle of the top - you will soon have a dent in the ol' noggin right beneath it

Somehow I expect more from a manufacturer today. Years ago many trucks had there unusual little quirks but this cab was clearly built to be on a pickup chassis. Even the parking brake knob appears to be an afterthought as far as location.

cool pics. i always liked CH's with spoke wheels. a company around here called Teals Express has alot of them.

Yep I've seen those. There's another company named Forman out of Maryland that seems to be keeping the look alive.

Jim

Cool shots! Thanks for sharing!

I haven't driven an F750, but I imagine the air seats in those couldn't be worse than the first gen Chevy/GMC C6500-8500s.

We had a couple of forestry trucks like those Chevy's. They had cab guards over the whole top of the cab so we couldn't buy those ones they came out later with the big hard hat bulge on the roof. They gave you a lot more head room, but looked gay going down the road.