what will the top speed be

joes mack

right now with the quad box the truck will run about 52/55 mph @1900/2100 with 7.49 rears and 24.5(tall) tires. im prob going to end up putting a 6 speed trans in it because the quad has a very loud whine in it in 4th/5th high split. its prob bearings but no one around here knows how to rebuild them anymore. i know that with 5.88 rears and 12.00/24 tires( which are quiet a bit taller than11.00/24.5 tires) trucks run about the same speed as mine.

i guess that most of the mack 6 speeds are direct arent they. thats what i will put in it they are the most bullet proof trans that i have ever seen or been around. ive seen drivers abuse them and try to tear one up with no luck.

Hi Joe - The gearbox that you need is the original 6 speed which had the overdrive box in front of the main 5speed box. They are a double overdrive the same ratio as the Quad (about .6 overdrive). They brought them out when the Maxidyne engine was first released. Mine used to do about 55mph at 2100. Regards - Michael

i dont know if this will help, tire hight from ground to top of tire say 41 inch for an 11.24.5 low pro, times rpm say 1500rpm.= 61500. then div. buy rears 3.65. then the trans if its direct 1.00 if its over drive say .71 for a 9spd, then buy 336 its the magic number this should be 50 mph, you can change the math around to change gears or rears to your liking. or 50 mph times 336 =div buy 3.65rears 1.00 then div buy tire41should be 1495 rpmhope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a link to the cummins web site that you can use to figure you speed. you will need to ignor their recomdations and just work with it to get what you need. But it will figure the tire size and all for you if you know your ratios you can work it out.

http://www.powerspec.cummins.com/site/home/index.html

Bob Gil

If it an't a Mack could it really be a truck???