I Can't Understandtoday Why My Tail Lamps Don't Work

I started Re-wiring the rear body lights on a late model Kenworth today. When I got to the wiring on the left side I found this

post-6084-0-52620500-1319161914_thumb.jp

I'm currently installing new led lights on the truck and will try to get some more pictures tomorrow.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I started Re-wiring the rear body lights on a late model Kenworth today. When I got to the wiring on the left side I found this

post-6084-0-52620500-1319161914_thumb.jp

I'm currently installing new led lights on the truck and will try to get some more pictures tomorrow.

There was over 90, (yes, 90) of those sonofabitches under the dashboard, in the firewall area(s), and tailights of project R-12 when I brought it home. This does not count all the barrel splices either. Altogether there was over 135 "Scotchlok" type splices in the harness in this one truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You got that right! The problem here is that the lights aren't boxed in so all of the wires are constantly exposed to road and environmental hazards. I don't know why the tank manufacturer built the rear lights this way, when they build tanks for our Macks the lights are closed in the back. Must figure the KW won't outlast the lights and wiring the way a Mack will!

The pile of crap that I pulled out of the truck. The square tubing is what the wire was originally run through. Never been a fan of that because it fills up with mud.

post-6084-0-62935200-1319249451_thumb.jp

Some pictures of the new wiring near completion. Not perfect, but much better than before. Sometimes it's hard to work around the way things are built without dropping a bunch of cash to modify the existing parts.

post-6084-0-11138800-1319249577_thumb.jp

post-6084-0-79552500-1319249697_thumb.jp

And best of all, the new lights. working and BRIGHT! These were some pretty tricked out looking LEDs with 13 diodes in the stop/tail/turn lights, and they were only a few dollars more than the 10 diode variety.

post-6084-0-67490700-1319249761_thumb.jp

Thanks Tom. Ideally the body manufacturer would use pre-made tail lamp modules that just bolted in place, but I think improving the mechanical aspects of the lights on their bodies is one of the first things they cut when trying to bring costs down.