spin on filters

The two line system just doesn't have a bypass in it. The bypass routes some oil back to the oil pan.

I just put a spin on set up on my 673 with only great success. It builds oil pressure within seconds of starting instead of 20 seconds.

I got my set up from Global truck traders, Phil took care of everything for me. He goes by "counterman" on here.

SDC10855.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I like the idea of instant oil pressure upon starting, as well. As you may know, I recently spun a main bearing in my 673P. I am getting it fixed, but have not really determined a definitive cause for the failure. When things break and parts fail, I like to know why and figure out how to prevent it from happening again.

Gregg

I was always leery when starting mine up. I always sat and watched til the oil gauge moved before getting back out of the cab. Mine was a bypass system with three lines. I pulled it all off, compared engine block pictures with Phil and determined this would work fine. It has.

Hadn't heard about your spun bearing. Never good news, hope you get it fixed up.

Larry

I was always leery when starting mine up. I always sat and watched til the oil gauge moved before getting back out of the cab. Mine was a bypass system with three lines. I pulled it all off, compared engine block pictures with Phil and determined this would work fine. It has.

Hadn't heard about your spun bearing. Never good news, hope you get it fixed up.

Thanks, Larry. After speaking with the experts, I learned that #2 main bearing is the last point in a Mack engine to receive oil, thus the first to manifest any problem related to lubrication. That is the bearing that failed in my engine. Just those few precious seconds upon startup could make the difference. I have the same 3 line bypass filter so the spin-on conversion should work for me as well.

Gregg

Nice looking motor. Wish mine didn't have the color "grudge" all over it LOL!

Get in contact with Phil and have him try to find another set up like I got. Mine didn't have the oil cooler either, as that makes a difference also. He found mine on an old R model with a 711 in it. If you do it, get the road draft tube that goes with that filter set up. I had to refab the mount on mine(down on the oil pan) to get it out of the way of the filters. No biggie, but I should have gotten the tube off the 711 and it likely would have made it fit correctly.

My local place(Adelmans truck parts) couldn't help me as they didn't have any motors that they wanted to sell pieces from.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...