to much oil pressure

steamer

Hi I have been working on a 1961 b61 for about 2 years and making a little progress so far new front wheel bearings ,king pins, alternator,injectors,and wiring. I put in new gauges as most of the old ones didnt work. the old oil gauge always read 20 pounds and went up to 60 when the engine was running.the new one goes to 100 but when you start the engine it goes all the way around to the pin. with a higer pressure gauge it idles at 140 until the oil gets hot and will still go over 100 when you rev it up. it has a 673 diesel that I think came out of a cabover because the serial number is not on the timing cover and i cant see behind the engine where it would be on a cabover. It has a 2 line bypass oil filter. I pulled the oil pan off and took the relief valve out and it wasnt stuck but it has 135 stamped on it. I think the engine may have been put togeather from parts It looks like it has 2inch wrist pins and 20 bolts on each head. the front valve cover says to set the timing a27" before tdc and the back one says 29. It dosnt have an oil cooler or turbo. I think it may have some parts from a full flow system but not shure. any Ideas?

Thanks Dean

Hi I have been working on a 1961 b61 for about 2 years and making a little progress so far new front wheel bearings ,king pins, alternator,injectors,and wiring. I put in new gauges as most of the old ones didnt work. the old oil gauge always read 20 pounds and went up to 60 when the engine was running.the new one goes to 100 but when you start the engine it goes all the way around to the pin. with a higer pressure gauge it idles at 140 until the oil gets hot and will still go over 100 when you rev it up. it has a 673 diesel that I think came out of a cabover because the serial number is not on the timing cover and i cant see behind the engine where it would be on a cabover. It has a 2 line bypass oil filter. I pulled the oil pan off and took the relief valve out and it wasnt stuck but it has 135 stamped on it. I think the engine may have been put togeather from parts It looks like it has 2inch wrist pins and 20 bolts on each head. the front valve cover says to set the timing a27" before tdc and the back one says 29. It dosnt have an oil cooler or turbo. I think it may have some parts from a full flow system but not shure. any Ideas?

Thanks Dean

If itb has 20 heads bolts then it was a full flow oil system and i would be afraid to run it.It needs a different mounting block that is bolted with 4 1/2 bolts to the side of the filter.I would say to remove the mounting block and check to see if the two oil holes on either side of the center oil hole can get oil from the center hole.The center hole out of the block come direct from the oil pump and up thru the mounting block and should go to a full flow filter and return back to the oil galley by the two holes to the side of the center hole. Other wise you can starve the main brgs.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Thanks Rhasler The information you posted helps a lot the cap for my valve is the rite one but the spring is for a higher pressure system. I will call our local mack dealer tommorrow with the number and see if he may be able to get the one I need. I also removed the oil line mounting plate to check the oil holes. The large one and the 2 smaller ones are all in a pocket in the plate so the oil can flow between them and the return from the filter goes into the lower hole.

Thanks Dean

Thanks Rhasler The information you posted helps a lot the cap for my valve is the rite one but the spring is for a higher pressure system. I will call our local mack dealer tommorrow with the number and see if he may be able to get the one I need. I also removed the oil line mounting plate to check the oil holes. The large one and the 2 smaller ones are all in a pocket in the plate so the oil can flow between them and the return from the filter goes into the lower hole.

Thanks Dean

The you get the pressure down you will be ok. That has been replaced with a much later engine than from factory.

glenn akers