Ms200 - Idle Lope

Joe Black

Got another question on our '86 MS200 with the Renault engine for the gurus here. ;-) At idle it'll lope often and in my experience with other diesels it's usually a worn rack damper. Is it a similar situation with this engine? Interested to hear if others have encountered and corrected the same issue. Thanks!

Got another question on our '86 MS200 with the Renault engine for the gurus here. ;-) At idle it'll lope often and in my experience with other diesels it's usually a worn rack damper. Is it a similar situation with this engine? Interested to hear if others have encountered and corrected the same issue. Thanks!

Can't say I've ever heard of an injection pump rack dampener but have seen problems with worn springs, bushings, and pivot shafts cause erratic idleing. I'm assuming the truck runs fine during a pull or above curb idle.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Only at low idle does it lope and while driving I'll just put a little pressure on the pedal to bring it up a couple hundred RPM and smoothes right out. The 8V71 in my Transtar does the same thing and it supposedly has a rack damper similar to what I'm familiar with on the Mercedes OM616/OM617. Fortunately the Mack has a throttle lock so when idling while parked I can just use that but it's just one of those things I'd like to fix, like the tranny issue. :whistling:

Only at low idle does it lope and while driving I'll just put a little pressure on the pedal to bring it up a couple hundred RPM and smoothes right out. The 8V71 in my Transtar does the same thing and it supposedly has a rack damper similar to what I'm familiar with on the Mercedes OM616/OM617. Fortunately the Mack has a throttle lock so when idling while parked I can just use that but it's just one of those things I'd like to fix, like the tranny issue. :whistling:

A V-71 Detroit does use a series of linkage and spring for dampening the rack travel through these linkages. The same thing but different in your application. The problem you experience with the idle is governor related. If you put the front of the truck up one ft. on jack stands, it will probably idle just fine as you have changed the normal "attitude" the truck usually sits at. This changes the flyweights inside the governor housing settings against their respective balance spring pressure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you don't mind me chiming in on the subject. I have seen this happen to the old Cracker Box GMC's with Detroit Diesels. What is the fix with this setup? Will the spring weights need replacement or adjustment?

mike

There is a detailed procedure to adjust those requiring some special tools, gauges, and sockets. You don't just adjust the governor but go through the complete injection system for the adjustments.

Rob