Pic Of Scr Mixing Hot Box On Back Of Cab

Trying to keep WB at about 216".Dealer said they can mount mixing hot box on back of cab.I would like twin 150gal tanks with enough room to mount ThermoKing apu on rails but room is a ?.Which type has the best turning radius?The set forward or set back axle?I noticed that the set forward had the air tanks mounted on passenger side in front of the fuel tank,and the set back had air tanks mounted on drivers side under battery box.Looks like set forward had more rail room.

Set forward will give more frame rail space.

Set back seems to turn better.

Turning radius you can get used to...make adjustments for...and get in and out of anywhere you need to go.

Frame rail space, well, you have to work within the space you have to mount everything you want. If there isn't enough room, you've got to compromise.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Set forward will give more frame rail space.

Set back seems to turn better.

Turning radius you can get used to...make adjustments for...and get in and out of anywhere you need to go.

Frame rail space, well, you have to work within the space you have to mount everything you want. If there isn't enough room, you've got to compromise.

I agree with rowdy on that. but differ on the axle spot. a set back will turn better and give you more frame behind the cab if you put a 265" wb setback and set forward axle side by side the set back is longer and has more frame space. Turning hell you get use to having a longer truck. What kind of application are you trying to do that you need a 216" wb? that sees awfully short even with a micro sleeper.

I've noticed the same problem on the newer trucks too- even with a bit over 200 inches of wheelbase there's isn't much space left along the frame rails. The frame mounted air tanks would free up a couple feet of rail, but I haven't seen a new Mack with them. Also, is the vertical mount DPF filter still available- the trucks I've seen lately were day cabs and with a 200+ inch wheelbase there was plenty of space behind the cab.

I drive for Pitt Ohio and our new Pinnacles have a small air tank under the battery box and a large tank mounted vertically behind the cab. The pass side fuel tank is awfully small, but the trucks are never more than 300 miles from a terminal. The purpose of this setup was to keep the wheelbase at a reasonable length for P&D work. The Macks don't have as good a turning radius as the Sterlings. :blush:

Here's a link to a thread on another board that shows the setup. Those are not my pics.

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=54593.0

Edited by Green Dash

Jim

I currently have a "08"IH with 51"sleeper.216"wb.I go into General Mills lots .With my truck i can go between two rows of trailers and make u turn.The Cascadia's can't.You have to back in from street which is unsafe.General Mills at Hannibal Mo is tight when dropping trailers by guard shack.

I currently have a "08"IH with 51"sleeper.216"wb.I go into General Mills lots .With my truck i can go between two rows of trailers and make u turn.The Cascadia's can't.You have to back in from street which is unsafe.General Mills at Hannibal Mo is tight when dropping trailers by guard shack.

I'm Betting that Binder is a set back axle. I drove one many moons ago and it had a turning radius like my longwheel base Pete. forgot the model but it was horrid.Idk the Wheelbase on it never measured it but I bet it was around the same as you have. had some frame well alot of frame available