First Order Of Business....

Since Dennis was an expert witness for many truck accident cases, the first thing he told me to check are the wheel seals. And I agree. Now i have done the hubs on a bigger truck before, but how do i check these. do i have to pull the wheels? What do i look for? I have a few ideas but i want the experts to tell me the right way.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Since Dennis was an expert witness for many truck accident cases, the first thing he told me to check are the wheel seals. And I agree. Now i have done the hubs on a bigger truck before, but how do i check these. do i have to pull the wheels? What do i look for? I have a few ideas but i want the experts to tell me the right way.

Oil or grease packed hubs? Oil hubs have a rubber plug in the center of the cap window which is clear. No real difference to check the seals in any big truck than a small truck with grease packed hubs. Look on the back side through an inspection hole for grease running. If you pull the front hubs replace the seals.

Since there is not history so to speak, it wouldn't hurt a thing to either pack, or change the oil in the front hubs at a minimum. I would check/change all fluids myself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On the rear wheels, when its parked in one place for a while, watch for 90wt drips inside wheel. Mine had one seal leaking when I bought it, grease wasnt getting on rear drum, but dripping down and getting on inside dual. When I pulled it off to replace, it had a brand new seal in it, but too much roughness to seal, so used a different "sleeve" seal. It may be called a stemco seal. It has held ever since. randyp

Oil or grease packed hubs? Oil hubs have a rubber plug in the center of the cap window which is clear. No real difference to check the seals in any big truck than a small truck with grease packed hubs. Look on the back side through an inspection hole for grease running. If you pull the front hubs replace the seals.

Since there is not history so to speak, it wouldn't hurt a thing to either pack, or change the oil in the front hubs at a minimum. I would check/change all fluids myself.

Rob

Good question Rob. I think the lift axle may be grease although I am not sure. The lift axle has a plug in the center and what appears to be a drain plug off to the side. I have not yet looked over the front hubs, they are covered with the chrome Mack hub caps. Either Thursday or Friday I will pull them and see whats under there.

I assume the drive axle is is lubed with 80wt gear oil. Should I change it as well? The truck has sat for 3 to 5 years.

On the rear wheels, when its parked in one place for a while, watch for 90wt drips inside wheel. Mine had one seal leaking when I bought it, grease wasnt getting on rear drum, but dripping down and getting on inside dual. When I pulled it off to replace, it had a brand new seal in it, but too much roughness to seal, so used a different "sleeve" seal. It may be called a stemco seal. It has held ever since. randyp

I will check for that as well.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Good question Rob. I think the lift axle may be grease although I am not sure. The lift axle has a plug in the center and what appears to be a drain plug off to the side. I have not yet looked over the front hubs, they are covered with the chrome Mack hub caps. Either Thursday or Friday I will pull them and see whats under there.

I assume the drive axle is is lubed with 80wt gear oil. Should I change it as well? The truck has sat for 3 to 5 years.

I will check for that as well.

It would not hurt to change any of the lubrication in the truck. The cases can condensate and of course water will go to the bottom and possibly be agitated upon the trucks use. I would crack the drain plugs loose and see if any water comes out before actually draining. If no water, drive around to get everything warm, then drain and replace.

Most oil hubs do have a drain plug in the center cap. If the front hubs are grease, the cap will look like an oil filter canister. It will also unscrew from the hub like an oil filter.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.