Floatation Tires

Hello all. We have a problem in our part of south west Manitoba - mainly way too much moisture. We grain farm, raise cattle, truck and custom silage. Usually we're dry enough the trucks can run in the fields and when its too wet we park the semi's with end dumps and use the tandems. This year is so wet I don't think the tandems even stand a chance. We are debating buying a couple of big silage trailers and pulling them with 4 wheel drive farm tractors but the trailers are 40 to 60 thousand each. Now we were thinking of trying 710/40R22.5 floatation tires on my son's 1999 Ch Mack with a 20 ft silage box. Just wondering if anybody has any experiance with that big of tires on their Macks. Any opinons would be appreciated as the tires and rims are about 15000 and don't need to make that big of a mistake. Thanks for any replies and sorry for the long post. Dennis.

Dennis, a couple years back I was hauling cotton modules for a local gin and we had a big snow and couldn't get the modules out of the fields. The gin bought a set of tires for one of the module trucks that is probably like what you're talking about but I don't remember the size. They looked similar to what you see on tractor pullers. We took off the 11R22.5 wheels and tires and put these singles on. The truck we put them on was a Western Star with an Allison automatic. It worked great. It sure tore up the fields but it got the job done. The ruts were so deep it was dragging the axles but never got stuck. I do believe the reason it worked so good was the transmission. I don't know that it would've worked with a manual transmission though. Maybe this helps some, Trey.

Hello all. We have a problem in our part of south west Manitoba - mainly way too much moisture. We grain farm, raise cattle, truck and custom silage. Usually we're dry enough the trucks can run in the fields and when its too wet we park the semi's with end dumps and use the tandems. This year is so wet I don't think the tandems even stand a chance. We are debating buying a couple of big silage trailers and pulling them with 4 wheel drive farm tractors but the trailers are 40 to 60 thousand each. Now we were thinking of trying 710/40R22.5 floatation tires on my son's 1999 Ch Mack with a 20 ft silage box. Just wondering if anybody has any experiance with that big of tires on their Macks. Any opinons would be appreciated as the tires and rims are about 15000 and don't need to make that big of a mistake. Thanks for any replies and sorry for the long post. Dennis.

I dont know if flotation tires will help, here are some pics of equipment stuck around my trade area. I am in normally very arid country about a half hour from Canada.

Good Luck,

HeavyGunner

post-8681-0-73792000-1308145954_thumb.jp

post-8681-0-45088400-1308146184_thumb.jp

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I dont know if flotation tires will help, here are some pics of equipment stuck around my trade area. I am in normally very arid country about a half hour from Canada.

Good Luck,

HeavyGunner

Are you anywhere up near sweetgrass? that is where i usually come out of Canada when i do my western run.......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Are you anywhere up near sweetgrass? that is where i usually come out of Canada when i do my western run.......................Mark

Yeah I am not too far from Sweetgrass, 45min to 1 hour from there depending on the route taken.

HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Thanks for the replies guys still undecided on this one. Most years would'nt worry about spending the cash but with all this rain just hate to spend and still have no income. Is it this wet right across the northern States to I've been hearing about Montana and the Dakotas being extremly wet to. Best of luck to your opperations Dennis.

Thanks for the replies guys still undecided on this one. Most years would'nt worry about spending the cash but with all this rain just hate to spend and still have no income. Is it this wet right across the northern States to I've been hearing about Montana and the Dakotas being extremly wet to. Best of luck to your opperations Dennis.

We run the floaters on all 4 of our silage tractors and trailers, as does everybody else here in PA with semis. It's the only way to go if your dealing with moist conditions. Now your not gonna be able to run across a field that has just seen a few inchs of rain and expect not to get stuck. Speaking from experience floaters are the way to go if you wanna save your field in "somewhat wet" conditions.

From what i have seen north dakota is probably just as wet as up in your area. There is still part of I94 that has water across the west bound lanes on tuesday morning. i went thru bout 2am and it was dry but by noon it had water across with a county worker runnin a flag by the side, it was still crossable though. As far as the floater tires i havent had any experience with them but all the farmers in my area run them on there slurry trucks. And i have seen them driving in areas that i wouldnt drive my pickup thru if i didnt really need to. They seem to due the job, but im sure they wont go thru everything. But a little common sense goes a long way.