Frankenstein Freightliner

vision386

Found this article in an old issue of Overdrive magazine,thought it might be of some interest. This truck is a 1958 Wide-track,built in california by the Cochran equipt.Co.,the chassis by Fabco Co., the cab by Chigago Cab Co. powered by a 262 Cummins with a 10 speed fuller trans. The owner/restorer bought it from behind a barn,thought it was so ugly,reminded him of Frankenstein! pretty un-usual truck,and rare! i have never heard of one,but it does remind me of a C.O.E FWD,Oshkosh also made a similar looking cabover in the 1960's........Mark

post-5836-0-84198800-1304735472_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-15301300-1304735494_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-96990600-1304735513_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Found this article in an old issue of Overdrive magazine,thought it might be of some interest. This truck is a 1958 Wide-track,built in california by the Cochran equipt.Co.,the chassis by Fabco Co., the cab by Chigago Cab Co. powered by a 262 Cummins with a 10 speed fuller trans. The owner/restorer bought it from behind a barn,thought it was so ugly,reminded him of Frankenstein! pretty un-usual truck,and rare! i have never heard of one,but it does remind me of a C.O.E FWD,Oshkosh also made a similar looking cabover in the 1960's........Mark

Mark,

That Co. Chicago Mfg. Co.Built the cab's for Crane Carrier CCC. Colonial S&S had A shit load of those one seaters, Also I think it was VanBro had a couple of those as CCC tractors. Just cut the sleeper off an take the pass side off an Wa LA !! The mixer trucks were ugly an they where hard as hell to get in an out of, an if you slipped off the step gettin out....you fell 5 feet to the ground. An to drive one?? Just put a steerin wheel in a phone booth an sit on the floor for 8 hours!!

Mark,

That Co. Chicago Mfg. Co.Built the cab's for Crane Carrier CCC. Colonial S&S had A shit load of those one seaters, Also I think it was VanBro had a couple of those as CCC tractors. Just cut the sleeper off an take the pass side off an Wa LA !! The mixer trucks were ugly an they where hard as hell to get in an out of, an if you slipped off the step gettin out....you fell 5 feet to the ground. An to drive one?? Just put a steerin wheel in a phone booth an sit on the floor for 8 hours!!

Ernie,i remember seeing those S&S trucks always wondered what is like to drive one,dont look like much fun! even the mixers i see these days with the one man cab look like a pain in the ass to get in and out of! thanks for the info,i thought that cab looked familiar,just could;nt place it........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.