How Much Smoke?

b61fred

Hi,

drove the old b61 around and put a trailer on it, The truck has a 673 N/A and the engine runs good but, not much power and hardly any smoke. I might have a injection problem. has anyone turned the pump up on these? I would like to try and see what happens.

fred

15 gears...no waiting!

the pump can be messed with to flow more fuel. without looking at the pump its difficult to explain exactly what to do. its not difficult but I had to let an oldtimer show me the ropes and I havent messed with it sence. some things you can quickly check is that the stop cable is not holding closed slightly. and that the fuel lines are not clogged with rust or muck in the tank. I found a clogged fuel line on a 10 wheeler once and it had no power or smoke.

On my R model I put an air swith in the dash to controll the puff limiter, when I bypass the limiter and stomp on the pedal (show pourpose only) it smokes pretty good.... like it should. My b model has been parked for 3-4 years but it throws a good cloud when I switched gears.

P.S I asked some more people about your truck at the local truck pull last weekend but had no luck getting info...sorry

i will keep trying as someone has to remember it

I got my reproduction owners manual out and was poking around my pump last week. Following the book, I found that my WOT setting was about .007 tighter set than the book states. I asked Mike what that meant and he stated that means it was "turned up". Meaning it's letting the rack go FARTHER(letting more fuel) under load. It's not drastic, but I would not say that my truck smokes heavy at all. Under load it makes a nice trail from the pipes is all. That's fine with me, as I don't think there is much more power to be had from this motor and screwing up a good running motor is not the plan.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I agree larry

when you flow more fuel you dont always make more power, other things like timing,injector size,more air are all needed to safely make the HP. but its always fun to do a smoke show :thumb:

Trent

Yea, thats what I thought, why screw with a good thing. The engine runs good the way it is and its only 170 hp. I guess thats why we have the 15 and 20 speed transmissions for! I am going to check all my pump settings though.

fred

:SMOKIE-LFT:

15 gears...no waiting!