Vin # Plate

Mike

I wondered if these aluminum plates could be saved from the garbage by very light TIG welding? Mine was troublesome taking off the door. Only one screw was stubborn and I was able to slide it out from under the screw, which broke open the corner. So I tapped it in and reshaped it back like it should be. I would like to save it since the truck is being restored. Hopefully this will be the only part that will look like it had seen many work battles.

A normal person would throw it away and get a new one and have the number restamped. :pat:

mike

post-900-0-65058800-1302799515_thumb.jpg

I wondered if these aluminum plates could be saved from the garbage by very light TIG welding? Mine was troublesome taking off the door. Only one screw was stubborn and I was able to slide it out from under the screw, which broke open the corner. So I tapped it in and reshaped it back like it should be. I would like to save it since the truck is being restored. Hopefully this will be the only part that will look like it had seen many work battles.

A normal person would throw it away and get a new one and have the number restamped. :pat:

mike

I'd keep it as is. If you weld the corner, (it is possible) the "patina" will not match the original. Reproduction plates are not the same alloy as the originals and your's will clean up nicely.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree with Rob,personally i'd keep it as is,if you do go to welding on it,theres a good chance you could "blue" it (like a discolored motorcycle exaust) dial up a little too much,could burn right through it! just my two cents!...............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I appreciate the input form Rob and Mark. I know now what you mean. Bad thing is, ya can't get the blue out once it's in their. We used to buy a product called BLUE AWAY for motorcycles exhaust pipes. I had to use it on my 1978 750 Super Sport Honda, and it did a good job getting the blue out but, left a slight yellow tint to the exhaust pipe. I guess the best thing to do is use screws that have a shoulder so the plate will have something to hold on to. I'll probably wind up just using new stainless screws and be done with that small hurdle.

Many Thanks and Good Day!

mike