Newbie Looking At Buying A Mack

ST 470

Hi all,

A new guy here. I am looking at a 2001 CX-613 and need to be educated :rolleyes: . I don't know much, if anything about Macks, always been a Freightliner guy.(sorry)

Anyhow this semi has about 925,000 miles, has an E7 460 hp engine with a 10spd fuller & Eaton 3.90 gears. Looks really sharp, however there is no history, or maintance records. Do you think the engine could be original? It starts & runs out really well. Steerings tight. Just would like anyones $.02 worth. Good, bad & ugly.

Thanks in advance,

ST 470

PS. Can't find out who had it, other than it was a railroad company. Looks like they took well care of it.......

I have a 2001 CX-613 w/ E7-427. How much blow by? Look real good at areas where a gasket would be. Does it look like sealant of some type is there? If so, some type of re-assembly has been done. maybe an overhaul. Radiator originally was a plastic/aluminum thing. They didn't last well. pull dipstick. Smell the oil. Can you smell fuel? pressure test cooling system.

O-rings in oil cooler may be close to shot.

The one nice thing about the E7. They don't have ALL the computer crap.

Good luck

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hi all,

A new guy here. I am looking at a 2001 CX-613 and need to be educated :rolleyes: . I don't know much, if anything about Macks, always been a Freightliner guy.(sorry)

Anyhow this semi has about 925,000 miles, has an E7 460 hp engine with a 10spd fuller & Eaton 3.90 gears. Looks really sharp, however there is no history, or maintance records. Do you think the engine could be original? It starts & runs out really well. Steerings tight. Just would like anyones $.02 worth. Good, bad & ugly.

Thanks in advance,

ST 470

PS. Can't find out who had it, other than it was a railroad company. Looks like they took well care of it.......

You might post the vin# these guys are the best at trying to help someone out. Ron

Any major issues with these trucks( camshaft, turbo, rocker shafts) have probably been done already on a truck with that many miles, Maybe even overhauled.

My own truck is a 2000 CX with a E-tech 427 with 1,170,000. No surprises. Good reliable runner with regular maintenance I have had since new, no overhaul yet, original transmission & rears.

If the truck you are considering looks clean and well maintained, miles are not an issue. In the long run, a 2001 or older (pre EGR) would be a wise choice. I have no plans to replace my 2000, as I see nothing in the current marketplace any more reliable.

Gregg

Any major issues with these trucks( camshaft, turbo, rocker shafts) have probably been done already on a truck with that many miles, Maybe even overhauled.

My own truck is a 2000 CX with a E-tech 427 with 1,170,000. No surprises. Good reliable runner with regular maintenance I have had since new, no overhaul yet, original transmission & rears.

If the truck you are considering looks clean and well maintained, miles are not an issue. In the long run, a 2001 or older (pre EGR) would be a wise choice. I have no plans to replace my 2000, as I see nothing in the current marketplace any more reliable.

Gregg

you said it greg

Thanks guys for the input.

BTW... I notice that most E7's are the 427hp rating. What's different to the 460hp rating? Is it just fuel flow, or is there internal differences too? Are the 460's prone to more problems due to the higher output or do they hold up equally well?

Thanx

I own and operate a 2001 CX-613,E-7 460,13 speed road-ranger,with currently 1.5 million miles on the clock,which i bought new,and other than a few minor things,my truck has been nothing but dependable! i do however mantain it to standards others may not,as i make my living with it,and have no plans to sell or up-grade anytime soon. I'm not a big fan of all the new EPA/emissions BS thats coming either! so thats one more reason to keep what i have.I am of course ,a big proponent of Mack trucks,and have bought them exclusively throughout my career,but this one has been a damn good truck! and find no reason not to recommend another one to someone in the market,with the exception of understanding some of the inherant problems with them ,previously mentioned in this post,so do your homework,get all pertinant info/records you can,then you can make an informed desision based on that information..........Mark

post-5836-0-95619600-1299555406_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.