Differetial Swap Questions

beatngu

So I have mack on the brain and have been toying with so many ideas it isn't even funny. The truck I would be mutilating is a '60 B-42. I was thinking along the lines of chopping off the sides of the dump box to make a flatbed, or just getting rid of the box all together for a straight tractor. The rear ends are 8.15s, not suitable for interstate or hardly back road travel only being able to do tops of 40 MPH. 20 speed Quad box which I would prefer to keep- So my question is just how hard is it to swap or even find replacement rear-ends for this truck along the lines of making it do 55 or 65ish? Can the ring and worm gears just be changed out? also I want to ditch the 401 gas for anything B model diesel. Any ideas or comments on the matter would be greatly appreciated even if to discourage me. My prime reasons for selecting this truck is location and price.

post-371-0-37207800-1299274484_thumb.jpg

You are looking at a lot of work. If you are going to go diesel you are going to have to add radiation area, and forget the quad box you have. The later model 92 and 93 carriers will go into your rear axles, but you can't get the all the bolts in. Although I have run working trucks with the late model carriers in the early axles without a problem.

So I have mack on the brain and have been toying with so many ideas it isn't even funny. The truck I would be mutilating is a '60 B-42. I was thinking along the lines of chopping off the sides of the dump box to make a flatbed, or just getting rid of the box all together for a straight tractor. The rear ends are 8.15s, not suitable for interstate or hardly back road travel only being able to do tops of 40 MPH. 20 speed Quad box which I would prefer to keep- So my question is just how hard is it to swap or even find replacement rear-ends for this truck along the lines of making it do 55 or 65ish? Can the ring and worm gears just be changed out? also I want to ditch the 401 gas for anything B model diesel. Any ideas or comments on the matter would be greatly appreciated even if to discourage me. My prime reasons for selecting this truck is location and price.

the truck looks to be in nice shape. if it were up to me i would keep the quad amd change the rears. i wish i could have kept the quad in my brockway i am restoring but it will have to much power when done. good luck.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

The motor needs to be pulled no matter what goes back in, the block is split. I figured with the rear ends out of another B model tractor it would just bolt right up. I was under the impression that a diesel from another Bmodel would mount up just fine to the tranny- but I have never seen the differences between a gasser and diesel as far as component location and clearences. Then again maybe I would be better off finding a truck with what I want already in it. Harder to get a big ass truck to my house the further away it is though.

The motor needs to be pulled no matter what goes back in, the block is split. I figured with the rear ends out of another B model tractor it would just bolt right up. I was under the impression that a diesel from another Bmodel would mount up just fine to the tranny- but I have never seen the differences between a gasser and diesel as far as component location and clearences. Then again maybe I would be better off finding a truck with what I want already in it. Harder to get a big ass truck to my house the further away it is though.

A Mack diesel will not bolt up to the existing clutch housing due to differing size, (diesel is SAE #1, gasser is SAE #2). A more modern diesel may bolt up to it but the torque rise will soon hasten the expiration of the original transmission unless a very ginger foot is applied.

If it were me working with an original gas truck and wanted to go with diesel I'd look at a small Cummins, or Detroit and a matching transmission. You will need to have a radiator fabricated as the current may be marginal at best. The vibration a diesel sends through the chassis will also cause failure quicker than staying with a gas engine. An easy swap for you would be to go with an International Harvester RD series, (gasoline), or an IH DT series, (diesel).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What is it you expect out of this truck? Will it ever haul anything? are you just going to drive it to get to shows?

I take it that the truck has 10;00x20 rubber on it?

Why get rid of the 401? It is a very valid piece of history. I know I enjoy seeing gas motored class 8 trucks at the show.

Why not put another 401 in it, and put a 3 speed brownie behind the quad box so you can travel at highway speeds to get to shows or events?

brownie.jpg

I was looking more towards fuel efficiency, and I never thought about an auxiliary because the transmission already being split- very interesting idea you have. I want something to cruise with for the most part and maybe on occasion pull a trailer. Not intended for commercial use. I know working on a gasser would be a bit eaiser for me given I know very little about diesels.

I was looking more towards fuel efficiency, and I never thought about an auxiliary because the transmission already being split- very interesting idea you have. I want something to cruise with for the most part and maybe on occasion pull a trailer. Not intended for commercial use. I know working on a gasser would be a bit eaiser for me given I know very little about diesels.

You would never get anything close to good fuel efficiency with a 401/402 gasoline Mack engine. They never did very good in that department at all. Also weak in power, but will get the job done asked of it. Mine runs very well as others I've driven. Never have seen one break six miles per gallon, (empty) however.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I know the diesels are not that great either, noted at around 10 mpg, but I would take 10 over 6 any day. I think I will just keep searching for something else, like a single axle tractor with a duplex or triplex. I know this truck isn't going anywhere, so if I ever need or want another it wil be there. Thanks for your responces all- got some good answers for sure.