I have a friend asking me about some of the Mack RS/RL 700L with the Detroit V12.

He pointed out a few things that I have never noticed. First was the side filler panels behind the air cleaners the other was the lack of the cowl vent. Anyone have pics of these thigns up close? hood open to see how they got them in. He is a model builder and is looking for some specific details to reproduce.

post-17-0-04976100-1298942517_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-81972600-1298942530_thumb.jpg

I have a friend asking me about some of the Mack RS/RL 700L with the Detroit V12.

He pointed out a few things that I have never noticed. First was the side filler panels behind the air cleaners the other was the lack of the cowl vent. Anyone have pics of these thigns up close? hood open to see how they got them in. He is a model builder and is looking for some specific details to reproduce.

Most likely the filler panels are modified from normal to use the dual "Farr" air cleaners. Those things really free flow air but do not silence at all. A Detroit with them is quite loud during operation. I surmise the cowl vent was eliminated to allow clearance for the rear blower on the engine as they sit quite high in the valley. This coupled with the air intake adapter to feed both blowers I'd think the vent would be in the way.

I've never seen a 12V-71 powered R model before so these are just s.w.a.g.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Trent,have you checked out the 1971 RL-700L in the classifieds? it is reported to be one of 3 with a factory installed 12-V-71 Detroit,has a good picture attached,i too have never seen one in person (not from the factory anyway)...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Trent,have you checked out the 1971 RL-700L in the classifieds? it is reported to be one of 3 with a factory installed 12-V-71 Detroit,has a good picture attached,i too have never seen one in person (not from the factory anyway)...........Mark

Mark,

I spoke to the owner on Saturday,that truck is one of 3 with an aluminum frame. The hood on the tractor looks a little longer, an where the vent goes, it almost looks like they narrowed that area for the hood maybe?? also the extensions on the sides under the air cleaner?? now i just got to figure how to get it to Jersey!!!

Thanks for that tip Mark. I Would love to get some pics of that truck. very intresting. I see that the front bumper is a little diffrent than some of the other v12 macks I have seen.

Bullhusk. you pay the plane ticket out and I will drive it back to Chicago for ya!sure we could find someone to get it to the east coast from there

Mark,

I spoke to the owner on Saturday,that truck is one of 3 with an aluminum frame. The hood on the tractor looks a little longer, an where the vent goes, it almost looks like they narrowed that area for the hood maybe?? also the extensions on the sides under the air cleaner?? now i just got to figure how to get it to Jersey!!!

Ernie.looks to be in pretty nice shape!(i like the 72 myself) i think Rob is right about the cowl extensions,and i would imagine the hood is longer than stock,the engine itself seems too long to fit the standard hood,maybe some sort of small doghouse in the cab? i relly cant say for sure,cause i've never seen a factory V-12 in a Mack (in person)only Brockways,GMCs,Autocars etc. would sure go nice with your huskypup! LOL!........Mark

Thanks for that tip Mark. I Would love to get some pics of that truck. very intresting. I see that the front bumper is a little diffrent than some of the other v12 macks I have seen.

Bullhusk. you pay the plane ticket out and I will drive it back to Chicago for ya!sure we could find someone to get it to the east coast from there

I could prolly handle the second shift LOL! just gotta remember my ear plugs!...........Mark

Ernie.looks to be in pretty nice shape!(i like the 72 myself) i think Rob is right about the cowl extensions,and i would imagine the hood is longer than stock,the engine itself seems too long to fit the standard hood,maybe some sort of small doghouse in the cab? i relly cant say for sure,cause i've never seen a factory V-12 in a Mack (in person)only Brockways,GMCs,Autocars etc. would sure go nice with your huskypup! LOL!........Mark

To my ratio and proportion eye I'd say the hood is the standard length for an R700. This is judging by the wheel opening radius and placement, the length of the hood extension from the back of the fender rearward, and the length of the flat portion of the hood panel itself. I don't see any difference in any of these measurements from mine. This is of course, just a guess.

A Detroit "V" series engine in a straight frame rail truck would be a tight fit. I'm certain it could be done but with the splayed frame of an eastern R model, the engine could sit lower in the frame and probably not have some of the clearance issues of the straight rail truck such as an RS, or RL700 series. This is why I'm going with the R795 for my project.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

OK guys,

The truck does not run the motor is not siezed but needs work. Not crazy about the rear susp.(Pag&Page) but i have a nice air/ride out of one of my wrecked Pete's that might look good under there? Now the other truck? the one with the E9 V8 that was #2 of the three with the Alm. frame but he put the 440V8 into it!! crazy right!! Both those trucks were used in the logging ind, up there in WA. so says the owner but we'll see? I'm just a little worried about the frame?? But i spoke to the owner tonight, an was told again the only thing wrong was the motor needed work but I just might take a ride out when they load it up or maybe even take a ride out with one of my guys an pick it up (I don't have a drop deck but they do rent them by me)it's just with the price of fuel right now the hauler might be cheaper?

Ernie

Did you buy it Ernie? thats cool that he has 2 of the 3 made. Looks like a newer cab on the V8 truck? .. very intresting!

Yes, I am getting some prices to get her back to Jersey, an the owner has a guy about a mile from him that can do it!! I'm just tryin to work out some ##### now