Limited Options On New Macks?

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new Mack. I'm looking for a tractor with the beef to do construction, but not so heavy that I can't haul a decent payload. Here's what I'm thinking of:

Granite with set back front axle

MP-7 Maxidyne @405 horsepower with 10 speed deep reduction Maxitorque

13.2 front axle and 46 rear on air ride Mack axles

9 millimeter single channel frame

Holland air slide 5th wheel

Automatic chassis lubrication, air starter, LED lights

Mack's literature is pretty much glossy pictures and tells me little if this combination of components is even available. Compare that with Kenworth, Peterbuilt, and Western Star that will let even a one truck owner operater spec exactly the truck they want. Even Sterling, who undercuts Mack on price, gives you a pretty good idea of what's available with what. Suffice to say, Mack's vague literature temps me to skip their products and either go to their competitors or by a used Mack close to the specs I want.

Any opinions?

Why would you want an air starter?

Well she did work for the postal service and they have nothing but air starters on every truck I have seen.

I hear they have lower maintence then an electric and usually outlast an electric starter by a factor of at least 3.

That sound they make is also pretty cool.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I agree with you on one thing, Mack's new literature is nothing but glossy pictures; however, I belive that is due to the fact that all components of the Granite CTP are not available yet. For example, the MP8 engine won't be availabe untill some time early next year; therefore, there can't be an accurate list of options. I'm sure its nothing a Mack salesman couldn't straighten out.

youll be amazed at the options in the dealer books. just check with your salesman you can get it any way you want. also air start=light

I was thinking lighter since you can cut the battery count to just one. Also wether its winter or summer the starter will have the same pressure to crank the engine with no problem.

I agree with granitefan713 since there isnt a spec sheet availible on line for the mp7 granite yet, just a simple brochure and a cornerstone chassis brochure. Even the regulat granite spec sheets that listed component availibility also had many foot notes which basically said more options availible, ask your dealer.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I heard the air start motors have 2 or 3 times the cranking HP than an electric motor. the down fall is that if it leaks down or you run out on a cold morning its a PITA to air up again (unless its near a large air supply.)

In warm climates I could see there use more popular. up here in the cold winter months i know It would not work so well as sometimes it may take about 30 sec of intermitten cranking to get my old dog up if the circuit braker on my engine heater cord trips in the night.

• 2 weeks later...