52 Type 75A Front Brake Shoe Return Spring

fxfymn

While doing the brakes on my 52 Type 75A I found a broken return spring on one of the front shoes. And of course none of the local parts houses are able to either match the un-broken spring or locate a part number.

Anyone have any ideas?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

While doing the brakes on my 52 Type 75A I found a broken return spring on one of the front shoes. And of course none of the local parts houses are able to either match the un-broken spring or locate a part number.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was able to build a hardware package when I did the brakes on my A40. I took all the old hardware to the parts store(s) and matched them up. I was surprised how much of that stuff is common.

The parts stores I deal with have been in business many, many years. The newer stores mentioned in earlier posts don't compare when it comes to service.

Don't rule out checking with truck service garages that have been around a while also. I have several contacts in my area that don't mind helping me out on something when in a jam for parts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I was able to build a hardware package when I did the brakes on my A40. I took all the old hardware to the parts store(s) and matched them up. I was surprised how much of that stuff is common.

Yep, I'm certain they are still out there, it's just finding them that's proving problematic. Did you keep the part numbers for your A-40 by any chance? At least it would give me a starting point. My 75A used Dorman W8806 & W8807 wheel cylinders for the front axle if that helps.

Thanks for the tips. Before I posted this I had made the rounds of the local parts stores without luck. Unfortunately, I am in an area that is rapidly urbanizing with most of the old time part's jobbers being bought out or going out of business. When they are bought out they seem to have cleaned out their inventory.

I'm certain the original vendor was Wagner, or one of it's predecesor companies as all of the other parts are marked with Wagner PN's. I tried to locate a master Wagner catalog without success. And as you know very few on-line parts places even list Mack as a choice to search for parts on.

I am going to take a road trip to Richmond to try some of the heavy truck type stores that are located there. If that doesn't work I'll head into the Shenandoah Valley where there are still a lot of old time farmers who have old stuff to keep on the road. If I can locate a PN than I can make some calls and save the fuel and time of trying to match the parts by sight.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yep, I'm certain they are still out there, it's just finding them that's proving problematic. Did you keep the part numbers for your A-40 by any chance? At least it would give me a starting point. My 75A used Dorman W8806 & W8807 wheel cylinders for the front axle if that helps.

Thanks for the tips. Before I posted this I had made the rounds of the local parts stores without luck. Unfortunately, I am in an area that is rapidly urbanizing with most of the old time part's jobbers being bought out or going out of business. When they are bought out they seem to have cleaned out their inventory.

I'm certain the original vendor was Wagner, or one of it's predecesor companies as all of the other parts are marked with Wagner PN's. I tried to locate a master Wagner catalog without success. And as you know very few on-line parts places even list Mack as a choice to search for parts on.

I am going to take a road trip to Richmond to try some of the heavy truck type stores that are located there. If that doesn't work I'll head into the Shenandoah Valley where there are still a lot of old time farmers who have old stuff to keep on the road. If I can locate a PN than I can make some calls and save the fuel and time of trying to match the parts by sight.

Try,

C.C. Walls Garage, Silver City, Ga. 770 887 3696

Bolton Truck Parts, Cumming Ga, 770 887 5958

Felton Clutch [and brake] Chattanooga, Tenn. 423 266 8858

Thanks Bollweevil; I'll call them if I don't luck out around here.

I went to another half dozen jobbers today as well as a truck repair shop and a John Deere dealer. As I expected, the further I got out into the country the more willing the counter guy was to try to match the part with their stock. No match found in stock, but at least they tried.

The Deere store had a really close match in a spring that is used to pull a pulley in place on a lawn tractor. That may end up being my fall back.

Unbeknownst to me a local truck dealer has opened a NAPA store and the counter guy was able to show me a picture of what looks like the correct spring so I took a chance and special ordered a set in from NC. I'll find out tomorrow if they are correct.

Good news! The parts I ordered from NAPA fit. The springs have a larger diameter, but they are the same length and configuration as the one that was on it when I took it apart. Given that there is no way of knowing if the parts I removed are correct I'm comfortable with the substitutes.

The PN from NAPA is 2314. It contains all of the hardware needed to do both front wheels and cost me $18.39. The PN from Wagner is H4200. It is the basic non-adjustable drum hardware kit from Wagner.

Thanks for all the help. That's what makes this board great!

• Like 1