2000 Mack Diff Reseal

Stingray698

Hi all im new here just wondering if anyone can tell me how difficult or what is involved in resealing both power divider and rear diff , housing to diff seals in both , they are both top loads . I looked in the motor book and it calls for 5-8 hours each ive done plenty of eatons but never have they taken that ammount of time , truck is a 2000 year not sure of model its a semi not a dump truck and just wondering what the best way to get the carriers out if the 5th wheel or crossmembers are in the way , any help would be appreciated would like to do a little homework before diving in . Thanks

drop drive shafts.

pull axels.

remove any air lines that are mounted to the diff housings

remove torque rods/side torque rods.

remove diff side covers to access the 2 bolts behind them.

remove the rest of the diff bolts.

the rear rear will pull straight up. the forward diff may be tricky. if you cant slide the 5th wheel all the way back or slide off. you may have to remove it. Not sure if your rears are springs or air but that will come into where the cross members are. If the crossmember is far forward you may be able to sneak it out by jacking up the rear axel to the stops and use the extra room to pull the forward diff out of the housing,forward and up thru the rails. first time will take about 5-7 hrs to get both out if everything goes smooth. I did it for my first time last year and the hardest part was getting to the forward rear inside bolts.

Unless they changed in recent years.....yes the forward and rear diffs have the 2 bolts inside the covers. the covers are inspection covers so that you can see whats going on inside. I think I used a socket and extention but I cant recall. I know the mack mechanics had some special tools to make it easy to get at them or they took a wrench heated it up and bend it so that you can get a good bite on the bolts. the cover comes off easy with (4) 9/16 bolts it may leak a little oil but normaly it all drains into the bottom housing Good point on checking the housing. My RR diff had cracks at the rear 3 bolts. looked as if it blew out at some time and pulled the flange upwards when she let go. When you re seal them most just clean and add sealant. I think there was a housing gasket but not sure if they caused more bad than good?

Also check load housing for cracks were the carrier seals to housing.

What Glen speaks of is important here ! Check closely for cracks around the 9 to 12 oclock area (facing forward) on the mating surface of the diff housing! Clean it up good then run a torch over the surface and look for oil bleeding up from cracks.