Happy Turkey Day!

vision386

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy turkey day! i myself have spent more than a few on the road,so it is a real treat for me to be home and have off a few days to boot!.....lookin' forward to the cold turkey sammiches (rye bread & plenty of mayo) expect to load up pretty good before i go back out! wife has allready made some homemade pies,real hard for me to stay outta' them (she just left for work) anyway,hope everyone has a real good safe holiday!..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy turkey day! i myself have spent more than a few on the road,so it is a real treat for me to be home and have off a few days to boot!.....lookin' forward to the cold turkey sammiches (rye bread & plenty of mayo) expect to load up pretty good before i go back out! wife has allready made some homemade pies,real hard for me to stay outta' them (she just left for work) anyway,hope everyone has a real good safe holiday!..........Mark

She knows how many pies were there when she left, and she said that's how many pies had better be there when she gets back-be careful!

I usually make some sweet potato pies myself-they're easy to make,and good too,but I haven't even been to the grocery store. Spent all yesterday evening at the ER at Lynchburg General Hospital. Jo's leg had been bothering her for a week,going numb and tingling,and yesterday she had numbness on up to her buttocks, then it went on up to her shoulder. She went to a chiropractor and he said it wasn't a pinched nerve or anything he could deal with,and to get to the emergency room right away to get it checked-he came out and told me her leg had turned white and he could barely find a pulse in it.Then he gave me my check back to pay for the visit,which I thought was real nice of him. We didn't know if she was having a heart attack or a stroke or just what was going on. Anyway,after 5 or 6 hours at the ER they said it was sciatica,gave her pain pill and muscle relaxer prescriptions and let her go.

Gonna put a turkey in the smoker oven here in a few minutes.We like to make "turkey hash" with leftovers, that's just turkey soup made out of the turkey stock with potatoes,onions,celery,and some thickening in it. Then you got the sliced turkey sammiches,and I usually make some turkey salad to take with me-I just chop it up some,add some sweet and some dill pickles,and lots of mayo.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

She knows how many pies were there when she left, and she said that's how many pies had better be there when she gets back-be careful!

I usually make some sweet potato pies myself-they're easy to make,and good too,but I haven't even been to the grocery store. Spent all yesterday evening at the ER at Lynchburg General Hospital. Jo's leg had been bothering her for a week,going numb and tingling,and yesterday she had numbness on up to her buttocks, then it went on up to her shoulder. She went to a chiropractor and he said it wasn't a pinched nerve or anything he could deal with,and to get to the emergency room right away to get it checked-he came out and told me her leg had turned white and he could barely find a pulse in it.Then he gave me my check back to pay for the visit,which I thought was real nice of him. We didn't know if she was having a heart attack or a stroke or just what was going on. Anyway,after 5 or 6 hours at the ER they said it was sciatica,gave her pain pill and muscle relaxer prescriptions and let her go.

Gonna put a turkey in the smoker oven here in a few minutes.We like to make "turkey hash" with leftovers, that's just turkey soup made out of the turkey stock with potatoes,onions,celery,and some thickening in it. Then you got the sliced turkey sammiches,and I usually make some turkey salad to take with me-I just chop it up some,add some sweet and some dill pickles,and lots of mayo.

Yup,that was pretty much the conversation as far as the pies go! she did make me a "sample" pie which has dropped from 8 to 3 slices since yesterday! punkin',sweet tater,apple (my favorite) gingerbread etc......i'm expecting to leave with my fridge full of sammmiches too!.......hope all is well with Jo, i know something about sciatica,my wife has a touch of that not a whole lot can be done about it from what i'm told...anyway,hope you guys have a good day! and don't eat too much!.........Mark

I probably already ruined the turkey. My oven caught fire while I was relocating leaves instead of keeping an eye on it. Grease from the turkey dripped down and caught fire inside the oven. Completely blackened the outside of it. I brought it in to see what I could salvage,peeled the skin off,dissected it, and put the breast in the oven in here and put the legs and wings back outside in the smoker,but in an aluminum pan this time.

Might not be fit to eat,but it'll probably still make good hash or sammiches,or something.

I probably already ruined the turkey. My oven caught fire while I was relocating leaves instead of keeping an eye on it. Grease from the turkey dripped down and caught fire inside the oven. Completely blackened the outside of it. I brought it in to see what I could salvage,peeled the skin off,dissected it, and put the breast in the oven in here and put the legs and wings back outside in the smoker,but in an aluminum pan this time.

Might not be fit to eat,but it'll probably still make good hash or sammiches,or something.

That sounds like something I'd do....

...which is why I keep it simple.

Thanksgiving around here involves 2 of these:

051000062611.jpg

...and one of these:

518-hH0oCaL._SS280_.jpg

They don't seem to be TOO much more difficult than a frozen pizza, so I ought to be able to manage a decent meal out of it.... :banana:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That sounds like something I'd do....

Nothin' wrong with that Rowdy...well,except maybe that punkin pie-i'd trade it in on a sweet potater pie.

I should have taken a picture of that blackened turkey,but it's actually looking and smelling pretty good now. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Nothin' wrong with that Rowdy...well,except maybe that punkin pie-i'd trade it in on a sweet potater pie.

I should have taken a picture of that blackened turkey,but it's actually looking and smelling pretty good now. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Just relabel it as "Otherdog's World Famous Blackened Cajun Style Turkey" or something along those lines and you'll be a wealthy man!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Well i hope you manage to salvage something! red button just popped out on ours,won't be long now.........or maybe it just wants to park?

post-4436-050390400 1290738175_thumb.jpgpost-4436-050390400 1290738175_thumb.jpgSpent the past few days helping a group cook some turkeys-150 actually.

After the second round went in the oven, came home and made an punkin pie, and a peeeecan pie.

Last nite after rd.3 came home to make an apple pie. Lovely Mrs. had put a hole in small fridge trying to knock ice off. Lowe's is still open. Getr one that fits the opening in the cabinet. Doors open wromg way. Find some tools and reconfigure. Done.

Wake up today, 4 am, sitting watching TV. Hey, what about the pie? OK I said. Pie out at 6;45, turkey in, head over to the cook shop to finish loading stuff.

Got to run the LULL

Home at 11. Sit down at 1;30. Company is here, can't hide in office.

The group has a 1921 American LaFrance pumper for parades and such. Will post pics later

Hope everyone enjoy family, food, and friendship on this holiday................................AWRIGHT PATRIOTS

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Just relabel it as "Otherdog's World Famous Blackened Cajun Style Turkey" or something along those lines and you'll be a wealthy man!

Tom was having some difficulty with his turkey last i heard.......MINE however turned out great! my wife outdid herself once again! when i learned of otherdogs ordeal i thought about a quote from one of my favorite movies (a christmas story,where the little boy wants the red ryder BB gun) when the hillbilly neighbors'dogs eat their turkey and the dad has a fit!

"The heavenly aroma still hung in the house. But it was gone, all gone! No turkey! No turkey sandwiches! No turkey salad! No turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey a la King! Or gallons of turkey soup! Gone, ALL GONE"

heres how our came out,wife did me proud as usual!

post-5836-095683300 1290746004_thumb.jpg

My turkey was a disaster.Cooked many in that smoker but never had it catch fire before,and when it did I was doing something else.Shoulda used a drip pan-but it never caught fire before.

I was running Jo's new leaf blower,since she's on the injured list. It's powered by a modified ENDT866 V8 Mack engine with adapted air to air charge air cooling and will blow leaves from here to Lynchburg, 24/7,unless it runs out of fuel in the driveway.

Worse part is,it was very salvagable,but I cut the leg quarters off and cooked the breast inside. I waited for the red button to pop out but the thighs take longest to cook so the breast was done long before the button popped out. It was very dry and overcooked. Next time i'll put a drip pan under it...it had never caught fire before.