Throttle Stuck

leversole

Bad Dawg!

On the second shakedown run, I hit a bump and jammed the throttle all the way down and it stuck! Luckily I had sense enough to pull the fuel shutoff and get her whoa'd up. Looked for obvious issues, could not find anything, the actuator going into the injector moves and the shaft turns, but there is no resistance, dont know if it pushes against something that may be hung up, or how it works...thought I was goin to have to call a wrecker ($$$)...but I got it home modulating the fuel cut off...kept it right around 1600rpm! Had to make a few hills working the cutoff, so suffice to say, I was out of breath when I got it home!

Anyway, is it terminal, or is there something I can dissasemble and "unjam"

Thanks

Bad Dawg!

On the second shakedown run, I hit a bump and jammed the throttle all the way down and it stuck! Luckily I had sense enough to pull the fuel shutoff and get her whoa'd up. Looked for obvious issues, could not find anything, the actuator going into the injector moves and the shaft turns, but there is no resistance, dont know if it pushes against something that may be hung up, or how it works...thought I was goin to have to call a wrecker ($$$)...but I got it home modulating the fuel cut off...kept it right around 1600rpm! Had to make a few hills working the cutoff, so suffice to say, I was out of breath when I got it home!

Anyway, is it terminal, or is there something I can dissasemble and "unjam"

Thanks

If you're saying that the pedal & linkage is returning to the idle position, yet the engine is still racing, then check that the throttle arm has not come loose from the spline on the throttle shaft on the side of the governor. If that is loose, then the arm may have slipped on the shaft.

If that checks OK, then you've got internal issues in the governor itself.

I don't think it's a case of a stuck rack in the pump, or else the shutoff wouldn't slow it down.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Dumb question...

Is there supposed to be an exteral return spring? It looks like there is a place for one...

I took the governer cap off (I assume that what that is, and if I pull the pedal linkage forward (closed) the assembly inside moves. I am wondering if I just lost the external return spring?!?

Thanks

Edited by leversole

Yes, there is supposed to be an external return spring.

Usually there is an "eye" for it to attach to that rod that hooks to the throttle arm, ans a bracket that sticks up from the top of the compressor with a hole in it where the other end of the spring attaches.

Any generic throttle spring will work. Use the lightest spring tension possible which will pull the throttle back to idle. A too heavy throttle spring makes it crappy to drive and puts a lot of extra strain on the linkage..

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Yes, there is supposed to be an external return spring.

Usually there is an "eye" for it to attach to that rod that hooks to the throttle arm, ans a bracket that sticks up from the top of the compressor with a hole in it where the other end of the spring attaches.

Any generic throttle spring will work. Use the lightest spring tension possible which will pull the throttle back to idle. A too heavy throttle spring makes it crappy to drive and puts a lot of extra strain on the linkage..

Sho nuff! I found a picture I took when I looked at the truck before buying and there it is! Now off to get a spring! I dodged another bullet! You sure are a Know-it-all! (and I am glad!)

Thanks AGAIN!

Edited by leversole

Sho nuff! I found a picture I took when I looked at the truck before buying and there it is! Now off to get a spring! I dodged another bullet! You sure are a Know-it-all! (and I am glad!)

Thanks AGAIN!

I always put 2 springs,or at least a rubber strap for backup,on the F-model 300 I drove after the spring broke on the road and it ran wfo!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.