Compound Shifter Stuck

leversole

On 4/14/2018 at 7:49 AM, Rob said:

I have a tri-plex trans out of a truck setting on my woodpile inside the shop I can photograph if you like. Been setting there for years and is my spare. It would show you the area unencumbered by a truck.....

Thanks Rob.  I pulled the floorboard to get better access.  I need to get to the treadle lines anyway.  This project is part mechanical and part archaeological dig.  I wonder quite a bit if this truck was ever parked in an West Texas river for a time.  It has dirt everywhere.  I think this truck spent much of its time in the West Texas oil fields, but it is hard to imagine even 50 years in West Texas could accumulate this much dirt.  The compound shifter is removed.  The Lo-Split, inside rail, is stuck inside the shifter and doesn't move.  I have it soaking in diesel.  I used the fine oxide sandpaper to clean the rust off as best I can.  The Hi-Split, outside rail, came out of the shifter fairly easily.  

Is there any way to tell if the Lo-Split on the transmission will move without reinstalling the compound stick assembly.  I'm not sure how much force is needed to make it move, but given the size of the shift stick, it could take more force than can be applied without the stick.  

That is an ancient empty pack of Marlboro Lights in the third photo.  It is between the transmission and the Lo-Split linkage.

compound_shift_wo_floorboard_1.JPG

floor_board_out_before_cleanup.JPG

compound_hisplit_clevis.JPG

compound_shifter_5.JPG

Edited by HugeHugh
West not East TX
  • Like 1

You should be able to move the forks and internal shift mechanisms with a gentle pull or pry with a screwdriver if there is no binding.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I finally got back to town and got a little quality time with the B61.  The compound shifter linkage has been cleaned and reassembled and it shifts like butter.

There was a piece of steel between the rear clevis and the transmission housing that was keeping the rail from traveling backwards.  I assume the piece of steel fell through the hole for the series-parallel switch or the hole for the PTO shifter.  Here is a photo of some of what I found in the dirt packed around the compound shifter linkage.  Now to get the passenger door to open.  

Thanks again for the advice. 

Compound_Shifter_Jammed.JPG

Edited by HugeHugh
Small edit
  • Like 2

I think they all had stuff fall through the floor on those trucks. Especially when the cover wasn't put back over the s/p switch as it was a big open hole.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.