finally got around to getting a picture of our truck on here. It's a 1980 RD685S 237 6 speed Have owned it since '89. First as a straight truck with a grain body for the first ten years then converted to a tractor as the farm grew. Have had a KW and Freightliner but our Mack is definitely the favourite!

post-4699-078614000 1285987080_thumb.jpg

finally got around to getting a picture of our truck on here. It's a 1980 RD685S 237 6 speed Have owned it since '89. First as a straight truck with a grain body for the first ten years then converted to a tractor as the farm grew. Have had a KW and Freightliner but our Mack is definitely the favourite!

Nice looking truck up to the tasks asked of it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey snowcombine,

Mind if I ask why the Mack is your favorite when you said there were other makes of trucks in your corral? The parts are hard to get and the truck is becoming extinct. The dealers don't want to see us come in or call em on the phone and bother them about older trucks. When ya go to a truck show ya get home cooking from old town favorites. People bring their whole families out and vote on their good ole friends truck or trucks then you go home and lick your wounds and get fed up eventually. Then the truck finally sits in the ole shed until some young lad gets interested then the truck gets sold and so on and so on.

Just curious

mike

Hey Mike, your post here is a bit off the "beaten path" when mentioning an R model is becoming extinct and the parts are difficult to come by. The dealer's do want you to patronize thier businesses, it's just there are sometimes parts that are no longer supported. Any R 68X series of truck is well supported in the aftermarket with the powertrain this truck has. This is not in any fashion true. I don't see accuracy in your forcast of the truck eventually is sold after sitting in the shed, due to the owner "licking his wounds" being unable to show well.

If I had that truck in my corral, and the other makes also, there is no doubt which would be my favorite and several on this board would concurr.

Please clarify your thoughts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Mike, your post here is a bit off the "beaten path" when mentioning an R model is becoming extinct and the parts are difficult to come by. The dealer's do want you to patronize thier businesses, it's just there are sometimes parts that are no longer supported. Any R 68X series of truck is well supported in the aftermarket with the powertrain this truck has. This is not in any fashion true. I don't see accuracy in your forcast of the truck eventually is sold after sitting in the shed, due to the owner "licking his wounds" being unable to show well.

If I had that truck in my corral, and the other makes also, there is no doubt which would be my favorite and several on this board would concurr.

Please clarify your thoughts.

Rob

I wasn't saying anything against his truck. I like most all trucks. I guess I need to stop going to shows so I want be so negative about the events that i've been involved in.

mike

I wasn't saying anything against his truck. I like most all trucks. I guess I need to stop going to shows so I want be so negative about the events that i've been involved in.

mike

mike if your only motivation too restore mack truck's is too win trophy's...................then i would be doing some soul searching!

mack is a lifestyle not a showstyle mate..........

Mike; Certainly no offence taken. I definitely do understand your frustration with shows and "hey everybody vote for mine" BS that goes on. Our local car club has figured out a way around it that has been working well. Like the other guys said I'm not into shows the truck is just a workin' machine. Parts aren't really a problem partly because it doesn't get many miles and doesn't break down! As for being my favourite, It runs smooth, pulls the load well(I even hauled 140,000lbs once, a bit much but it did OK)The cab doesn't rattle near as much as our other trucks, doors close with a gentle push. I just use it for what it is meant for. Besides, it's as close as I will probably get to having a vintage heavy truck.