Spider

Hi, Fellow Mack lovers! I worked for 23 years at Dana Spicer & 1 year for Kelsey-Hayes FABCO Div. I was the transmission engineer, draftsman, designer, service manual reviser, salesman & part time serviceman for the Spicer Model 184 Turbo-Matic Automatic Transmission from 1968 until 1975 (& predecessors) & Model 738 Transfer Case. I have had extensive experience in heavy duty clutches, manual transmissions, drivelines, axles, planetarty axles, powershifts; front drive/steer axles & many other misc. heavy duty powertrain products--pretty much anything behind the engine & know some about them due to their importance to the rest of the drivetrain. Have called on Mack, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, GMC Coach, Flxible, Flyer, IHC, Western Star, Autocar, Hayes, Pacific Truck & Trailer, many fire truck manufacturers and numerous other speciality vehicle manufacturers including construction. Mack has always been one of my favorites--well qualified, personable employees & so many interesting & unusual products. My email is garritorr@yahoo.com and I am willing to answer as many questions as time & chronic illness allows. I can usually troubleshoot Model 184's on the phone, although 35 years rusty! Very glad to join your group! I'm located in Phoenix. I particularly want to contact Mackb67 & Charles Hatfield initially about the 184--hopefully I can find them, but I work much better if there is a dipstick & oil supply involved.....darn new-fangled electronic STUFF........:( Regards, Gary :))

Edited by Dana Spicer Automatic Guy

Gary,

Welcome to the BIG SHOW. I especially need educated on most truck matters and hope I can call on your expertise sometime. Oh by the way.......try not to mention the V word around here. It makes us MACK fellers feel alittle abused. I noticed you have not, so welcome to the site. :mack1:

mike :WELCOME:

Gary,

Welcome. You'll find a good group of guys here. I'll give you a starter question just to make you feel at home. I have a Mack 4x4 with a Kelsey-Hayes front axle. It has a 18123. The closest rear I can find is a 18121. They both have the same casting number (106402). Are they the same? Can a single axle rear be used in the front (steering) axle? It looks the same, only rotated 180 degrees. Why does the transfer case have a different ratio to the front than the rear? Thanks.

• 1 month later...