R-600 Interior Floor Support Bar

Hi all,

Pulling down our 1980 Mack R-600 to give her a new coat and we have become suspicious that this cab has been in an accident before involving the back bottom passenger side.

My question is: The support bar inside the cab that runs on the floor and is attached to the seats...should this be straight or have a bend in the middle towards the back of the truck? The floor covering suggests that it should be straight. Though it looks very symetrial.

If anyone could look to ease my mind i'd be most appreciative.

K

Hi all,

Pulling down our 1980 Mack R-600 to give her a new coat and we have become suspicious that this cab has been in an accident before involving the back bottom passenger side.

My question is: The support bar inside the cab that runs on the floor and is attached to the seats...should this be straight or have a bend in the middle towards the back of the truck? The floor covering suggests that it should be straight. Though it looks very symetrial.

K

The floor support you mention is a structural member of the cab. As I remember the bend of the steel is straight on the side that is forwward in the cab, and the rear is on an arch to follow contour of the cab back. I've never replaced one complete, and am going on memory, but don't really think you have a problem.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If this is the raised part of the rear cab floor, where the Passenger seat rear legs bolts to, it should be straight and flat from side wall to side wall. is it bent upwards where the 2 large bolts are in the rear cab floor? those bolts are for the rear cab mount. If it is a non air ride cab it is possible that bad roads caused the cab to dent upwards. I have seen a few R models that had this issue. they were always on/off road construction tractors and had rubber pad rear cab mounts. One was so bad that it had to be welded. its not a common issue but have seen it a few times.Look under the cab and see if there is rust or if the cab mounts are pushed up into the cab floor.

The floor support you mention is a structural member of the cab. As I remember the bend of the steel is straight on the side that is forwward in the cab, and the rear is on an arch to follow contour of the cab back. I've never replaced one complete, and am going on memory, but don't really think you have a problem.

Rob

Here are a couple of photos from two different cabs I have on the floor. This main support is formed into the curvature of the cab back panel as you can see from the photos. As Trent mentioned and I have seen and repaired myself, the rear cab mounts can push this support beam upward into the compartment by neglect of the rear cushion biscuit(s), but that type of damage is not with these cabs.

Rob

post-78-028379800 1283948329_thumb.jpg

post-78-076097100 1283948331_thumb.jpg

post-78-028285900 1283948334_thumb.jpg

post-78-069433700 1283948336_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

K

Hello, mine is bowed back.

Grant