New Mack Acquistion:

always like the scoops on R models. common on cab overs and garbage trucks but rare on conventionals

I want one for my truck but I have the larger inlet on top of the air cleaner. Needs that extra air for the turbine fan. I have also seen a chrome metal one that is wide but not as tall. has a small mesh grill for the opening.

Trent

always like the scoops on R models. common on cab overs and garbage trucks but rare on conventionals

I want one for my truck but I have the larger inlet on top of the air cleaner. Needs that extra air for the turbine fan. I have also seen a chrome metal one that is wide but not as tall. has a small mesh grill for the opening.

Trent

Hi Trent. they make three different sizes. The website has a telephone number to talk with them and I'm sure it could be sized appropriately.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Chris, the air scoop is a Maradyne "Power Ram" and is still available new. It is made by the same people that now manufacture "Air-O-Matic" steering. The website is www.maradyne.com and you can find it in precleaners section. There is also a list of vendors there. I've had that scoop for several years and plan to purchase another and have it chromed after the truck is repowered.

I'm going to make Macungie this year for sure!! Hope to see you there.

Rob

Hey Rob, Thanks for the website! Looks like there is a distributer about 75 miles away. Appreciate the help. Missed you at Auburn. I'm sure gonna try to make Macungie. I better start saving my pennies & dimes so I can afford the fuel to get there! :pat:

Chris

Chris

Findlay, Ohio USA

Thanks Rob.

I just called and got a price on a new one.

Its a little steep $312.68 :wacko:

Hi Trent, talk to Mike at Area Diesel, in Carlinville. I believe he would be less expensive. I bought mine many years ago and if I remember right, it was about $80.00. If they have really went up that much in price, I will cut mine apart and duplicate it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Rob, thats who I called . I spoke with a Dave at aera diesel, he was the one who gave me the price of $312.68

I'm not surprised. That is typical of their pricing schedule as discovered over the past few years. I purchased mine there several years ago, and like I said, it was near $80.00. They must be trying to harbor all or them, or don't want to sell any. I'll see this week what it will take to duplicate and make a pattern of the one I have. Besides, this is another reason to get my "wheelin" skills sharp again!! I'll keep both you and Chris posted.

Rob

• 3 years later...

I will have to get a print for the truck to see if I can make it work before pulling the engine.

Thanks,

Rob

RE: air rde seat- Rob, without seeing it cant be sure, but i believe the seat in question was manufactured by sears roebuck inc. (no kidding) they were sold under the "levelmaster" and "ridemaster" brands, these were primarily found in ford heavy/medium duty trucks in the late sixties early seventies. they are pretty obscure,but we had a w-series ford C.O.E in the 70's that had a seat very much like what you describe......mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yes, would you be interested in a 1693 cat and tranny? I have an old 1973 Kenworth Im wanting to part out. Please let me know. Thank you.

VanMatre Farms

765-661-4251

Hi there, I have a complete 1693TA that is a spare on the shop floor but would entertain another if known good. I would not be willing to pay a high dollar for it in all honesty as there really is no dedicated need for it at this time.

We can talk if you like; my phone number is 309-219-2070

Thanks,

Rob

RE: air rde seat- Rob, without seeing it cant be sure, but i believe the seat in question was manufactured by sears roebuck inc. (no kidding) they were sold under the "levelmaster" and "ridemaster" brands, these were primarily found in ford heavy/medium duty trucks in the late sixties early seventies. they are pretty obscure,but we had a w-series ford C.O.E in the 70's that had a seat very much like what you describe......mark

I can believe it actually. I spoke with a gent that worked at Bostrom prior to Accuride becoming the parent company. He explained that it probably was a "LevelAir 1" series seat that was marketed as Bostrom, and private branded by both Sears, Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward stores through the mid 1970's. My truck is a 1978 and the line set ticket just says Bostrom Premium seat without further breakdown. I've not had it back into a truck since having it rebuilt but the features I've never seen since.

Thanks,

Rob

I can believe it actually. I spoke with a gent that worked at Bostrom prior to Accuride becoming the parent company. He explained that it probably was a "LevelAir 1" series seat that was marketed as Bostrom, and private branded by both Sears, Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward stores through the mid 1970's. My truck is a 1978 and the line set ticket just says Bostrom Premium seat without further breakdown. I've not had it back into a truck since having it rebuilt but the features I've never seen since.

Thanks,

Rob

No problem, that sounds like what i was talking about, i was looking for pictures of the seat in our w-series, but as of yet have not had any luck. it puts me in mind of a bostrom seat, just the one we had had some "goofy" controls, but as i remember it was pretty comfortable...shame the rest of truck was junk! lol!...mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

No problem, that sounds like what i was talking about, i was looking for pictures of the seat in our w-series, but as of yet have not had any luck. it puts me in mind of a bostrom seat, just the one we had had some "goofy" controls, but as i remember it was pretty comfortable...shame the rest of truck was junk! lol!...mark

Rob- Brakesaver is a retarder that uses engine oil to slow the truck- engine oil is directed against a stator. The guage marked air pressure is for air pressure on the control valve, some trucks had another trailer control valve(spike) that you used to vary the retarding power of the Brakesaver, others simply had an on/off switch and you weren't able to modulate the effect. The temp guage is for oil temp and is engine oil temp,if you really work a Brakesaver hard it's possible you may have to start backing off as the oil temp may start rising too high, but in the winter using the retarder on a hill will help keep engine oil temp more constant. I had a 3408 with a Brakesaver and loved it. Doesn't make any extra noise like a Jake which is a plus in urban areas which ban Jakes. It always seemed to me that the harder you made a Brakesaver work the better it worked. If you have any other questions let me know.

Russ