New Mack Acquistion:

I have purchased a truck/tractor for my Detroit engine and am wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of what powertrain this tractor had when built. I have no knowlege of "R" models, so this will be new to me. If the vin number runs as the B models did, then it would be assumed the truck would have originally been a V-8 engine, tandem axle tractor with aluminum components, but is currently an inline six.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

I think that "55" is a Cat engine code.The codes for Mack V8's were "15" and "19" for the 864 and 864 turbo,and "95" for the 865 Maxidyne,and "97" for the 866.

Hi Mike, thanks for the research. The truck had/has a 1693 Caterpillar in it now, and a 13 speed roadranger. I've never seen a Mack chassis, (this old, 1978) with that powertrain from the factory but I was told the chassis was "as built", and original.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I would think a 1693 would be pretty rare in a Western 700.Might not hurt to check with the Mack Museum to see how many were built that way.

I never could understand Mack Western trucks numbering system.Unlike the eastern built models where each individual model started with a new VIN number,R611ST1001,R685ST1001,etc.,and you could tell how many of each were built and what number yours was.The Westerns didn't.You could have a RL795LST12345,and the next one off the line could be RL763LST12346.

Rob,

Mike is right on...all my books say that the "55" in the R700 series is either a 1693T or 1693TA Cat motor. The line sheet will tell which one. I believe the 1693 was the forerunner to the 3406. Good find...you've got a pretty rare truck there.

BTW, the R753 came with a 1674 Cat, althought I've never seen one of those!

Jeff...

Hi,

So Rob, are you going to have project "R-12" ready for our Macungie trip next summer? I start on the b-61 tonight after work,(finally!) going to get the good cab out of storage and start cleaning out the wiring and extra stuff that I don't need. Should be ready for sand/soda blasting very soon. I am going to try and document all of the work on this resoration, have my camera ready.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Rob,

Mike is right on...all my books say that the "55" in the R700 series is either a 1693T or 1693TA Cat motor. The line sheet will tell which one. I believe the 1693 was the forerunner to the 3406. Good find...you've got a pretty rare truck there.

BTW, the R753 came with a 1674 Cat, althought I've never seen one of those!

Jeff...

:mack1: Would be kind of a shame to alter that truck if it is that rare of a setup. Terry

:mack1: Would be kind of a shame to alter that truck if it is that rare of a setup. Terry

Can't disagree with you on that one Terry. However, I purchased the chassis without an engine. It was "just the ticket" for what I was looking for.

The closest thing to heaven my automotive side can think of: A tough Mack chassis, with BIG power.

I sure do plan to make Macungie next year Fred, and incidently, I think you've coined the name I'll use; Project "R-12"; I like it.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi,

So Rob, are you going to have project "R-12" ready for our Macungie trip next summer? I start on the b-61 tonight after work,(finally!) going to get the good cab out of storage and start cleaning out the wiring and extra stuff that I don't need. Should be ready for sand/soda blasting very soon. I am going to try and document all of the work on this resoration, have my camera ready.

Fred

Hey Fred,

We are going after the RL755 next week; Project R-12 will be underway!! I would be interested in others' opinions as to which ratio I should use in the rears with 11R22.5 tires and a single over 13 speed (I assume). I'm looking for a good balance of power from just off idle to a maximum interstate speed of 75-78 mph @ 1800 rpm.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

The RL755L showed up on my doorstep today and I must say that I'm quite pleased. It has a very good running Caterpillar 1693TA under the hood with a 12513 transmission, 4.17 rears with an air actuated power divider. The ten tires are all virgin, and are above 75% remaining but mismatched (somewhat). All the aluminum suspension components appear to be in good condition with only the Rt. front spring hanger being welded on. The frame is completely aluminum as are all spring hangers, drop in carriers, crossmembers, cab mounting brackets, fuel tanks, front hubs etc. The cab has a bit of rust but is very repairable. The worst is the back window area as the internal sheet metal that forms the pinchweld is all but gone on the top. I suspect a water leak from the rain gutter caused this. The truck is red in color, and has the embossed bulldog in the door cards, along with diamond pleating, and the headliner is soft cloth material with an appealing design. The driver's seat is air ride but I've never seen on like it. You slide this lever up or down to the height you want the seat to remain at and it stays at that height wether you are sitting in it or not. It works well, but needs to be reupholstered.

There is some repair work to be done on the hood, but it is complete. The grille shell is nice with only one nick in the top that I will "tig up" and polish out. All in all, it is a good looking truck. Best of all, it does look as if my Detroit will slip in without a lot of custom fabrication. Hell, even the chrome front bumper is not bent. I'll get some pictures tomorrow in the daylight and post them.

Here are some technical questions:

There are a couple of gauges in the dash that say something about "brakesaver". One is for temperature, and the other is for pressure. Is this for some kind of retarder that I've heard about in years gone past? Also, there are two air knobs (unlabled) in the dash that when pulled out, air gushes out but they do not appear to do anything. They have nothing to do with the brakes, and both knobs are identical. Again I will post pictures. As far as I can tell, most things do work except the tach, and speedometer. Of course there are some burned lightbulbs but most are just minor things to work with. The truck was driven from Paducah, Ky in one shot so it must have some kind of reliabilty built in, (of course with a bulldog on the hood, that's a given).

Rob

The brakesaver is a flywheel engine braking system. Im not sure exactly how they work...but they are one sweet setup when hauling on hills. I had a friend who bought a new 1996 RD800 with a 3406C with one of those and the super jake. It was amazing downhill.

thats great new Rob glad its home. should make a intresting truck when your done. Hows the frame look. any repaired sections? my truck weighs in at 15,700 with the wet kit and half a tank of fuel. wonder what yours is with a cat and alum frame? post tose pics soon!!!

Trent

I see no major corrosion anyplace on the frame. I did find that the driver's side front cab support has been welded back together but someone did a nice job. The front spring hanger that has been welded on was for the area that supports the bumper mounting brackets. It is nothing structural. I adjusted the brakes, clutch, took the doors apart and greased the regulators and latches, and replaced about 9 light bulbs in the dash. Amazing difference all in all. The clutch is shot and the engine will run away if accelerated hard. The brakes are great if even down to about 15-20% or so. The power divider is in sound shape as it locks the rears together as it should.

This Cat engine sounds just like a Cummins to me, both under slight power, and rapid acceleration (best I can given the clutch situation). At idle, I don't hear anything but fuel ignition/knock as is normal. The turbo sure is loud though. Can't find a tag, but it says "Airesearch" on the turbine side. The rocker boxes on top are leaking oil but it doesn't smoke any blue at all.

I really hate to pull this engine but that was the pretense I acquired the truck under. The 1693TA is destined to a good home and the truck it will be installed into is worthy of the engine, (so you know it is NOT a Peterbilt), HA!! I just had to throw that in there.

I didn't have a lot of free time today to take pictures but will get that done tomorrow. I had too much getting accustomed to get done. I asked several people at truck parts vendors about this seat, nobody has seen or heard of one like it in this area. I cannot find any tags or identifiers on it either. It sure works well.

Rob

Here are some technical questions:

There are a couple of gauges in the dash that say something about "brakesaver". One is for temperature, and the other is for pressure. Is this for some kind of retarder that I've heard about in years gone past?

Rob

Yes. The CAT brake saver was a hydraulic retarder integrated into the engine. It was popular in the 3406's and 3408's and can be paired with a jake brake to get upwards of 750hp of braking HP. The brake saver gives you something like 150-175 brake HP.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Yes. The CAT brake saver was a hydraulic retarder integrated into the engine. It was popular in the 3406's and 3408's and can be paired with a jake brake to get upwards of 750hp of braking HP. The brake saver gives you something like 150-175 brake HP.

I will have to get a print for the truck to see if I can make it work before pulling the engine.

Thanks,

Rob

The turbo sure is loud though. Can't find a tag, but it says "Airesearch" on the turbine side. The rocker boxes on top are leaking oil but it doesn't smoke any blue at all.

Rob

Rob,

I believe "Airesearch" is from Garrett turbine, who used to be a subsidiary of Allied Signal. I found a bit of info on Wikipedia.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_AiResearch

Scott

thats great new Rob glad its home. should make a intresting truck when your done. Hows the frame look. any repaired sections? my truck weighs in at 15,700 with the wet kit and half a tank of fuel. wonder what yours is with a cat and alum frame? post tose pics soon!!!

Trent

I'm going to try this.....

Sweet find, Rob! Should be an awesome ride with a screamin' V-12 Jimmy in it! B)

Chris

Hi Chris, great to hear from you again!! Thanks for the compliment. This is called "Project R-12", as per B-61 Fred's, (Morgan Heaton) suggestion. Will we see you at Macungie next year?

Rob

Hi Chris, great to hear from you again!! Thanks for the compliment. This is called "Project R-12", as per B-61 Fred's, (Morgan Heaton) suggestion. Will we see you at Macungie next year?

Rob

Hey Rob,

I've been planning to make it to Macungie for several years. I'm gonna put it at the top of my priority list for 2007. Would love to see/hear the R-12 in person. (long hood R + V-12 DD = one bad a** truck in my book) Best of luck with your project. Hopefully, I'll see you there!

Chris

BTW....Are you gonna re-use that snorkel on the air cleaner? Still looking for one for my K-100.

Chris

Findlay, Ohio USA

Hey Rob,

I've been planning to make it to Macungie for several years. I'm gonna put it at the top of my priority list for 2007. Would love to see/hear the R-12 in person. (long hood R + V-12 DD = one bad a** truck in my book) Best of luck with your project. Hopefully, I'll see you there!

Chris

BTW....Are you gonna re-use that snorkel on the air cleaner? Still looking for one for my K-100.

Hey Chris, the air scoop is a Maradyne "Power Ram" and is still available new. It is made by the same people that now manufacture "Air-O-Matic" steering. The website is www.maradyne.com and you can find it in precleaners section. There is also a list of vendors there. I've had that scoop for several years and plan to purchase another and have it chromed after the truck is repowered.

I'm going to make Macungie this year for sure!! Hope to see you there.

Rob