Best Years Of E7's

Well, I'm still looking at a few Mack Visions. Various years, various miles. All 460hp.

Is there certain years that are better than others? The ones I have found so far are between 2000 and 2007.

The prices sure are a bunch lower on KW/Pete dealer lots. I guess they want to move the off brand stuff!!

Thanks for the advice folks!!

Bill

Well, I'm still looking at a few Mack Visions. Various years, various miles. All 460hp.

Is there certain years that are better than others? The ones I have found so far are between 2000 and 2007.

The prices sure are a bunch lower on KW/Pete dealer lots. I guess they want to move the off brand stuff!!

Thanks for the advice folks!!

Bill

do your homework i didnt and a 2004 allmost put me under.

2004 are cheep and most have 300 to 400 thousand miles, there is a reason, warrenty runs out at 300,000 and you cant keep it going, egr cooler 2 grand, mass flow tube another grand, they usually go togather, they push coolant out allways, then crack egr cooler.

late 03 thru 05 are the worst,06 and 07 are better, but still egr motors. cx are worse than ch

any time you find a mack with less than 800,000 miles find out why they got rid of it, nobody gets rid of a good mack with less than 800,000 miles

if you dont mind their age the 1999 thru 2002 are the best ever built. (pre emission)

if you are a good mechanic, and have $5,000 to $8,000 to spend on cooling upgrades, and bypass the egr system. they make dependable trucks.

if your like me and have to have all work done in a shop, you can figure $10,000 to $15,000 to fix the problems.

research anything egr, mostly in modern mack trucks on this site to get a better understanding.

hope this helps. good luck

2004 are cheep and most have 300 to 400 thousand miles, there is a reason, warrenty runs out at 300,000 and you cant keep it going, egr cooler 2 grand, mass flow tube another grand, they usually go togather, they push coolant out allways, then crack egr cooler.

late 03 thru 05 are the worst,06 and 07 are better, but still egr motors. cx are worse than ch

any time you find a mack with less than 800,000 miles find out why they got rid of it, nobody gets rid of a good mack with less than 800,000 miles

if you dont mind their age the 1999 thru 2002 are the best ever built. (pre emission)

if you are a good mechanic, and have $5,000 to $8,000 to spend on cooling upgrades, and bypass the egr system. they make dependable trucks.

if your like me and have to have all work done in a shop, you can figure $10,000 to $15,000 to fix the problems.

research anything egr, mostly in modern mack trucks on this site to get a better understanding.

Ditto. The pre 2002 emissions E-Tech engines had some problems, but overall were pretty good engines and simple to work on.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks Bigen,

That all explains why I see so many with seemingly low mileage. With this economy you don't know if they guy is selling due to work shortage or repair money shortage.....

I sure appreciate the help and sharing of experience!!!

Bill

Thanks Bigen,

That all explains why I see so many with seemingly low mileage. With this economy you don't know if they guy is selling due to work shortage or repair money shortage.....

I sure appreciate the help and sharing of experience!!!

Bill

Mine is an 01' with 875,688 miles on it,and has been nothing but dependable given the already noted exceptions. The only real nagging problem i ever had with mine has been the coolant tank,but since i upgaded to the metal tank,(knock on wood) i have not had anymore problems with it. The 00' to 04's were also plagued with cam problems,mine was done under warranty fortunately. i too would question why a low mileage truck was "let go" does'nt make sense in this economy,of course despite what any dealer tells you,there is really no good way to determine how well a particular truck was cared for,DO YOUR HOMEWORK! owning a used truck can be a crapshoot,or it can be a profitable venture,IE: right truck for right job!......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yeah buddy I can testify to that bigen.

i will say, if you can find a 2004 vision with 300,000 miles that is very clean and well equiped (shouldn't be to hard given the large nuber of them for sale) and you can buy it cheep enough to take it strait to a REPUTABLE dealer (check with the guys on here) that can do all the upgrades, figure around $15,000. you should have a very dependable low milage truck.

dont let anybody blow smoke in your ass that it has all the upgrades, get documents, and have someone that knows what they are looking for check it.

hope this helps and goodluck again.

A point? Am I a newbie missing something????? Lol.

I think I will look real hard at a 2000 Vision with a rebuilt E-7 460.

Bill

Just make sure you get the printout (upgrades,recall items,warranty work etc.) that accompanies the engine,will save you alot of greif in the long run!....Mark

Just make sure you get the printout (upgrades,recall items,warranty work etc.) that accompanies the engine,will save you alot of greif in the long run!....Mark

Thanks Mark! I used to work at a Mack dealer years ago and still know the owners well. They have offered to run the VIN's on any Mack I look at.

What exactly are the "upgrades" that need to be done to the EGR system? I am pretty handy with a wrench (and hammer!!). I read one thread on here about blocking or removing the EGR all together. Will the truck still pass a sniffer test?

Bill

Thanks Mark! I used to work at a Mack dealer years ago and still know the owners well. They have offered to run the VIN's on any Mack I look at.

What exactly are the "upgrades" that need to be done to the EGR system? I am pretty handy with a wrench (and hammer!!). I read one thread on here about blocking or removing the EGR all together. Will the truck still pass a sniffer test?

Bill

Well thats a good deal then! if mack can run the VIN,they should be able to tell you all the upgrades the engine has recieved,i would'nt offer a qualified opinion on disabling the EGR system,don't know all that much about the subject. but with all the computer software thats available nowadays,theres not much at all they can't tell you about the engine history!....Mark

Bill

waterpump housing, thermostats, one piece coolant tank, some plumbing, a new egr cooler, for start. i would ask one of the super heros(fjh,mackpro68,rahsler)they know just what you would need

waterpump housing, thermostats, one piece coolant tank, some plumbing, a new egr cooler, for start. i would ask one of the super heros(fjh,mackpro68,rahsler)they know just what you would need

Thanks Bigen!!

I'll do some more searching for what the Super Hero's have to say!!

Bill