Rt 9509:

Rob

I have this IH 4200 with a 6V-92, (350hp) that runs well and has an RT9509 transmission. Never have driven the truck off of the property so don't know anything about it. Anybody have experience with these? Are they a good unit, bad, or so/so? The truck was used as a lowboy tractor and always pulled a mechanical detach so it has no wet kit, and is on what looks to be Reyco four spring but is stamped with IH. It must have some low gears in the Eaton diffs cause every nine speed I've driven is pretty tall in the low, or starting gears.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have this IH 4200 with a 6V-92, (350hp) that runs well and has an RT9509 transmission. Never have driven the truck off of the property so don't know anything about it. Anybody have experience with these? Are they a good unit, bad, or so/so? The truck was used as a lowboy tractor and always pulled a mechanical detach so it has no wet kit, and is on what looks to be Reyco four spring but is stamped with IH. It must have some low gears in the Eaton diffs cause every nine speed I've driven is pretty tall in the low, or starting gears.

Rob

During their time frame they were better than good enough. They don't have as high of a torque rating, as later models, they have older generation spur cut gears, which may or may not be a little nosier. If it does not have any issues, it should be good for anything that you plan on doing with it.The only bad point that I can remember, is the counter shaft bearings. They didn't last long, particularly with a hot engine. Fuller made a bearing kit available, with barrel shaped rollers, which extended their life somewhat.

Rob a 909 or 9509 will have same low gear as a 13 speed.Lower than a 10 speed.

Thanks guys, I suppose it was "fitted" to the task better than I'd thought.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.