Donvel Air Ride

QCDriver

Hi, I'm ordering the unit this wed. would anyone care for a report of install and my comments after install?

http://www.donvel.com/

I've never seen these before, so any information you have afterwards would be informative. Where is it being installed? If you can, give a comparison to the Hendrickson Airtek. Hope it works out well for you.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I had it on a pete 379. went on easy.

think of it more as an driver controled shock system.

As the drive on different roads, you can adjust it on the fly, to get rid of slams

and bangs from the road. it takes a wile to find how it rides best,sometimes more air is better, sometimes less.

the only thing i didn't like was their cab control, i changed mine to the type you use for a 3rd lift axel.as i said it takes awile to leard how to set it, when you do its great.

good luck

I forgot, on the install, you only have to drill 2 holes, each side, in the frame. my truck already had onr that matched, so I only had to drill 1 each side. Easy driveway install. 2hr for a rookie, if you don't have to chase parts. One person except tighting the frame bolts, my arm wasn't long enough to hold the nut and tighten at the same time. 3 seconds ea side with 1/2" air gun...

It takes longer to run the air lines than to put the unit on..

at the Iowa 80 truck show a few months back I saw a new pete with air ride front axel. I was suprised to see it had 1 and 1/2 leafs...a single leaf ran from forward and rear shackles and the 1/2 leaf started from the front and ended just behind the axel. this is where 2 small air bags were bolted to the axel/frame. driver could control air press from the cab. said it rode like a old classic car does. no shock at all. I wonder if thats a on road only set up? If it could be used off road I would like to find a set up like that. not just for the comfort but it puts less abuse on the truck.

let us know how your set up is when your done

I've never seen these before, so any information you have afterwards would be informative. Where is it being installed? If you can, give a comparison to the Hendrickson Airtek. Hope it works out well for you.

I'm going to install myself. As far as any comparison's I can't help on that.

I pull tankers with about 25% of the loads going to some off road sites. I'm looking for comfort on road, and trying to smooth the off road deliveries.

The owner of Donvel is a great source of info. I'm really looking forward to this and hope it will work as expected. They said if I do not like this setup

they will refund all money within 30 day's.

I'll try to post pics as well. Wish me luck going to install this weekend if I receive in time.

Hi all,

i ordered the steer axle setup yesterday morning, hope it comes friday. So while I'm waiting I installed the DVI motion controls for cab and seat.

http://www.donvel.com/motioncontrols.htm

I was not expecting to much, but boy it rides like I installed the best shocks for cab. The ride is sooo much better. The sway and slap is totally gone. If all goes well with the air setup for steer I will definitly buy the DVI's for the drives as well.

More info to come later.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in posting. I installed the air ride Tuesday evening, took about 90 Min's. to 2 hours for complete install. Donvel includes everything for install but wire ties. The instructions were perfect and every thing was labeled also.

The first thing I noticed was how much tighter the steering felt driving. The ride is so much better and it's like having a dial a shock setting while driving. Most all expansion joints now are not felt in the front end. Also while driving on the rutted highways it does not walk around side to side as before. I also can air the system up to 100psi to get better grease coverage in king pins.

If anyone wants more info for how it help my truck leave a post. I would recommend this product for everyone that drives the PA turnpike. :thumb:

For the CH613 it mounts behind the front axle 2 air bags aside with DVI motion controls install @ factory. All components are top of the line.

In the first 3 days and 1100 miles I can't say enough good things about my new riding Mack.

http://www.donvel.co...ioncontrols.htm

Thanks for the update. Did it take longer than expected to recieve the unit or was it just a matter of not having the time to install it right away?

I was hoping to receive on Fri. It showed up Monday Evening. Not Donvel's fualt. I installed after work on tuesday.

I wanted to put guage in dash blank, but too much curcuits in dash to drill for air.

• 8 years later...
On 7/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, 86n96 said:

Total shot in the dark, here, but I'm currently looking at this system for my '01 CX. How did this hold up, and what did it cost for the steer axle setup?

Go to:  RW Air Ride Assist on Front Axel  in (Search). This goes over what I think you are asking. I did it to my RW as no kit was available. Not hard just have to think about it, do a little drilling, welding and have a few beers.. 

Just get it done. :thumb:

• Like 1