Wet Line Tank

Well, I added 40-45 gallons of hyd fluid in my 126 gal tank and it dumps and works just fine with low boys and short dump trailers. The amount of fluid capasity needed is dependant on the hyd piston. I havent pulled a long dump but would suspect it needs more fluid than a short dump because of its hight travel?

are you running 2 fuel tanks right now? what size are they? if you have 2 large tanks you could convert the pass side to the wet tank. or if you want to be real trick. have a shop seaparate the pass side tank for fuel and hyd fluid. something I considered but dident want to spend the $$$ on.

im not a fan of the top of frame mounted tanks that sit behind the cab. ugly in my opinion B)

Trent

Hi Trent,

Are you saying you are running your system with 40-45 gals ? I was thinking of mounting another fuel tank on the driverside. I have a nice 40 gal tank fuel removed from another truck but I was thinking it may be too small. I think I may have a 50 gal still on a truck that matches the drivers side tank. This is one of my B models and it has 50 gal lf 40 gal rt.

Chuck

I dont remember the min amount of hyd fluid I needed for short dumps but I think I was told 40-45 gal min? I added about 5-7 gals more because I used the large 126 gal pass side tank and was worried about it sucking dry if I was dumping on an incline. Most of the trucks here in the city use the pass side tank for hyd fluid regardless of the size. The tractors set up from the factory for a dump tractor would have a amall 50 gal pass wet tank and a 100-120 fuel gallon tank on the drivers side. my opinion is anyone trying to save weight would just use the pass side tank for hyd and have only 1 fuel tank.

my 2nd B had a rectangel wet tank mounted behind the cab. it was pretty small but I guess it did the job with short trailers? never did use that tank but it was small!

I have also seen many trucks have 2 fuel tanks of the same size and then the wet tank behind one of them, any choce is fine but I would rather use the frame rail space for something more usefull. on my RS I was able to put a 24" long tool box on the drivers side rail. Was a much better idea than a wet tank located there.

Trent

I can tell you that for a Quad axle dump truck with a 156" stroke cylinder, 35 gallons is enough.

when I've drained systems & refilled from scratch, thats how much it took to fill it up & top it off after bleeding the hoist cylinder.

However much longer your cylinder is on your trailer you could estimate the gallonage accordingly.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thanks Trent,

I plan to install a two line system just for that reason. I found my good 50 gal tank today. I cut a large hole in the top to clean it and to weld supports for the feed and return piping. I've seen some tanks crack at the bung when valves piping and hoses hang on them. I'll post some pictures while I'm working on it.

Chuck