First Time Mack Owner 1948 Fire Truck

rigfire

Howdy all. I just unloaded it this afternoon and drove it to my shop. I hardly know where to begin the fixup.

Here's thanks to the Founders, Moderators and members for your contributions to this forum. My list of questions is growing.

My plan is to cleanup the truck, add what is missing and have fun. Parades, displays and drive-in movies.

Me and the truck were born the same year.

Thanks to all.

Donny

Howdy all. I just unloaded it this afternoon and drove it to my shop. I hardly know where to begin the fixup.

Here's thanks to the Founders, Moderators and members for your contributions to this forum. My list of questions is growing.

My plan is to cleanup the truck, add what is missing and have fun. Parades, displays and drive-in movies.

Me and the truck were born the same year.

Thanks to all.

Donny

Welcome Donny,

What model do you have?

Most of the parts are easy to find but you will come across a few items that may take awhile to track down.

Lots of info here on Macks and if you need any help with the fire truck related equipment let me know, I have a 48 S-75 pumper that I am restoring as well. Also, all of us here like to see pictures of the other members projects, post some if you have them.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

Welcome Donny,

What model do you have?

Most of the parts are easy to find but you will come across a few items that may take awhile to track down.

Lots of info here on Macks and if you need any help with the fire truck related equipment let me know, I have a 48 S-75 pumper that I am restoring as well. Also, all of us here like to see pictures of the other members projects, post some if you have them.

David

David,

Mine also is an S-75. I will get you serial numbers to compare. Radiator hoses leak bad. That is my first fix.

Both front fenders have 3 holes in top of each fender. What was there?

Will figure out the pic thing. May take me a while to figure it out.

Donny

Welcome to BMT! Glad you found us! Sure would like to see some pics of your truck...and don't be afraid to ask questions! We'll be glad to help!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

David,

Mine also is an S-75. I will get you serial numbers to compare. Radiator hoses leak bad. That is my first fix.

Both front fenders have 3 holes in top of each fender. What was there?

Will figure out the pic thing. May take me a while to figure it out.

Donny

If you have two smaller ones and one larger one then thats where the marker lights go, the two smaller holes were for mounting the marker and the larger one had a grommet for the wiring. You can still get the marker lights (I think Watts has them or on Ebay) but the red lenes are extremly hard to find.

Keep in mind that these trucks are almost 60 years old, in that time a lot of holes could have been added for department specific items and if your truck has been in private hands for a while who knows what could have been added.

How much do you know about your truck's history?

Two of the best things I did were to visit the history center of the town where my truck first served, I was able to find two newspaper articals about larger fires that my truck was at and both had pictures, also found a short story about the Fire Chief who was retiring in 79 who served on my truck when it was new. In the story he decribes how the truck looked when it was first bought by the city and how impressed eveyone was with such a modern truck.

The other thing that was worth the time and money was to write to the MAck museum, if you send them a donation and the serial number of your truck they will send you all the info they have on it. Mack was very good at keeping records of the trucks they built. You should be able to get a build sheet listing all the equipment that was placed on the truck and what the specs are for it and, the best part is they will send you a picture of your truck as it looked just before it was sent to the town or city who ordered it.

This site is the best place to get Mack specific info (Thanks to Barry and Watts Mack!) The next thing you need to do is to join SPAAMFAA (Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus) at spaamfaa.org that is where you will find all of your fire apparatus related info and suppliers.

What engine is in your pumper? Do you have any of the original equipment with it?

If you need anything or have any questions just ask, I will be happy to try and help you out.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

Welcome to BMT! Glad you found us! Sure would like to see some pics of your truck...and don't be afraid to ask questions! We'll be glad to help!

Barry,

Thanks for the welcome. I will get the pic thing figured out soon I hope.

Donny

If you have two smaller ones and one larger one then thats where the marker lights go, the two smaller holes were for mounting the marker and the larger one had a grommet for the wiring. You can still get the marker lights (I think Watts has them or on Ebay) but the red lenes are extremly hard to find.

Keep in mind that these trucks are almost 60 years old, in that time a lot of holes could have been added for department specific items and if your truck has been in private hands for a while who knows what could have been added.

How much do you know about your truck's history?

Two of the best things I did were to visit the history center of the town where my truck first served, I was able to find two newspaper articals about larger fires that my truck was at and both had pictures, also found a short story about the Fire Chief who was retiring in 79 who served on my truck when it was new. In the story he decribes how the truck looked when it was first bought by the city and how impressed eveyone was with such a modern truck.

The other thing that was worth the time and money was to write to the MAck museum, if you send them a donation and the serial number of your truck they will send you all the info they have on it. Mack was very good at keeping records of the trucks they built. You should be able to get a build sheet listing all the equipment that was placed on the truck and what the specs are for it and, the best part is they will send you a picture of your truck as it looked just before it was sent to the town or city who ordered it.

This site is the best place to get Mack specific info (Thanks to Barry and Watts Mack!) The next thing you need to do is to join SPAAMFAA (Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus) at spaamfaa.org that is where you will find all of your fire apparatus related info and suppliers.

What engine is in your pumper? Do you have any of the original equipment with it?

If you need anything or have any questions just ask, I will be happy to try and help you out.

David

David,

I have joined SPAAMFAA and contacted Mack Museum as you suggested.

As to history. I know the last 2 owners are traceable. That info is at the office and I will run that trap Monday.

The pumper is not entirely complete but reasonably maintained I think. There are no water hoses but it does have a ladder set. Condition of pump I do not know. As to engine......all I know it is a six with leaky top radiator hoses.

The holes I mention are a precise pattern. I will check them today but I bet they are for the lights you describe. Have you located Mack dealers that cary older parts?

I will try to get pics posted soon.

Donny

David,

I have joined SPAAMFAA and contacted Mack Museum as you suggested.

As to history. I know the last 2 owners are traceable. That info is at the office and I will run that trap Monday.

The pumper is not entirely complete but reasonably maintained I think. There are no water hoses but it does have a ladder set. Condition of pump I do not know. As to engine......all I know it is a six with leaky top radiator hoses.

The holes I mention are a precise pattern. I will check them today but I bet they are for the lights you describe. Have you located Mack dealers that cary older parts?

I will try to get pics posted soon.

Donny

Donny,

I have not found any parts available from any of the Mack dealers I have visited, I have had better luck at NAPA but only with the older parts guys, the youngs ones will just give you a blank stare when you tell them what you are looking for. If you can find a NAPA dealer with an old timer at the counter make him your new best friend, some of them enjoy the challange of matching and finding the parts you need.

As for Mack specific parts Ebay and Hemmings Motor News is your best bet, also you may want to join the ATHS (aths.org) lots of older guys there who can help out in tracking down parts and info. They also put out a pretty good magazine called Wheels of Time, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you you can pick up a copy at it.

Are you looking for any parts now? if so I might be able to give you some leads on them, most of the old Mack stuff is located up the the North East, lots of junk yards up there filled with the stuff you may want or need.

If your truck is like mine it is based and the E series chassis, that is what you will be looking for when trying to find parts.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

Donny,

I have not found any parts available from any of the Mack dealers I have visited, I have had better luck at NAPA but only with the older parts guys, the youngs ones will just give you a blank stare when you tell them what you are looking for. If you can find a NAPA dealer with an old timer at the counter make him your new best friend, some of them enjoy the challange of matching and finding the parts you need.

As for Mack specific parts Ebay and Hemmings Motor News is your best bet, also you may want to join the ATHS (aths.org) lots of older guys there who can help out in tracking down parts and info. They also put out a pretty good magazine called Wheels of Time, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you you can pick up a copy at it.

Are you looking for any parts now? if so I might be able to give you some leads on them, most of the old Mack stuff is located up the the North East, lots of junk yards up there filled with the stuff you may want or need.

If your truck is like mine it is based and the E series chassis, that is what you will be looking for when trying to find parts.

David

David,

Chassis number is 75 S 2365. Engine is a Thermodyne. Have no clue as to its rating or CI.

What is the E serries chassis?

One of its 2 coils is in bad shape and needs replacing for sure. Radiator has to questionable as to last tme flushed.

As to parts, I need to survey the truck better and determine what is most critical. Thanks for the help offer.

Does your pump work? All my dash gauges are inop and replaced with addons. Would like to get that back to orriginal if possible.

Have you located insurance sources? I am getting quotes from some of the collector car firms.

Nothing like a true vertical learnig curve.

Donny

if it's a thermo-dog it's prob. a 611 OHV or a 711

if

i

t's a thermo-dog it's prob. a 611 OHV or a 711

meant to say.....707

Thanks for the help. 611 or 707 refers to whta? Cant be HP or CI. To work on, is it a nightmare or easy?

Donny

David,

Chassis number is 75 S 2365. Engine is a Thermodyne. Have no clue as to its rating or CI.

What is the E serries chassis?

One of its 2 coils is in bad shape and needs replacing for sure. Radiator has to questionable as to last tme flushed.

As to parts, I need to survey the truck better and determine what is most critical. Thanks for the help offer.

Does your pump work? All my dash gauges are inop and replaced with addons. Would like to get that back to orriginal if possible.

Have you located insurance sources? I am getting quotes from some of the collector car firms.

Nothing like a true vertical learnig curve.

Donny

Mine is 75 S 2369, they were not made that far apart! If it is a gasser you most likly have the ENF510A which is a 510 CI engine, parts are not all that easy to get but they are out there.

As for coils that is where the old parts guys at NAPA will be of help, if you can find one who knows his stuff and has the time he can look it up in an old DELCO book and probably come up with a match. The radiator hose will not be a problem at all, you just need to find the same diameter and cut it to fit.

My fire pump does work, I have the Hale 750 GPM, if you need any info on running your pump I have a manual for it. (also the E series manual if you need any info from them) Do you still have the origanal dash gages? if so they can be rebuilt, they were made by stewart warner and new ones can be bought but they will not have the Mack logos. A New Old Stock Mack E series cluster gage just sold on Ebay for just under $400.00 but I bought one last year used for $35.00 I might have a extra cluster gage if you need one.

Most of the guys I know with older heavy trucks and class 8 trucks use Gulfway, they also advertise in Wheels of time and are a corparate sponser of ATHS. You can find them on the net.

What part of the country are you in? I am in GA, not a whole lot of the old E series trucks are down here so it takes a little time to track down the Mack parts, my truck was running when I got it but needed the water pump, the one one it had was worn out and could not be rebuilt. It took me 16 months to track one down but I did find one in CA from some help with one of the members here on the BMT forum. Since then my engine has frozen up, I am working on getting it unstuck so I can get it back out on the road.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

David,

I saw you were Georgia located. My oldest son is at Fort Stewart - 3ID. He deploys in November so maybe we can tag up after I see him off. I live in west Texas. Lots of worn out oilfield Macks in my neck of the woods.

As an experiment, today I ordered hoses thru the local Mack dealer. They are not believing a 1948 pumper is in the area. I may let them go thru the brakes,

I'll run the coil trap like you suggested. Will be late this week. I am swamped at work.

Orriginal gauge clusters are in the dash but all wires cut and inop. A previous owner added ugly generic temp, psi and volt gauges attached to the dash bottom.

Interesting the chasis numbers were only 3 apart. Wonder if they built them in numeric order?

I have contacted Mack Museum for help. Am anxious to get thier reply.

Donny

David,

I saw you were Georgia located. My oldest son is at Fort Stewart - 3ID. He deploys in November so maybe we can tag up after I see him off. I live in west Texas. Lots of worn out oilfield Macks in my neck of the woods.

As an experiment, today I ordered hoses thru the local Mack dealer. They are not believing a 1948 pumper is in the area. I may let them go thru the brakes,

I'll run the coil trap like you suggested. Will be late this week. I am swamped at work.

Orriginal gauge clusters are in the dash but all wires cut and inop. A previous owner added ugly generic temp, psi and volt gauges attached to the dash bottom.

Interesting the chasis numbers were only 3 apart. Wonder if they built them in numeric order?

I have contacted Mack Museum for help. Am anxious to get thier reply.

Donny

Tell your son we said thanks for what he is doing! I would be going over myself if they took 46 year old recruits.

Get a good relationship with the Mack guys if you can, you never know what they can help you with.

I am pretty sure our trucks were made close togather, Mack used consecutive numbers off the line but sime trucks sat at the plant untill they had an order for them, one thing I found out is that they could have been built a few years before 48 and they used the order date ast the year, IE: built in 46 or 47 but they had no order for it untill 48 so it went out as a 48.

Mack started their seriel numbers with 1000 so your would have been the 1365 truck built.

The Museum stays really busy, I have heard it has taken as long as two months for the info to get back but it is really worth the wait.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

• 2 months later...