Recently, while looking at trailers online, I found a listing that mentioned that a trailer with aluminum wheels on the outside, and steel wheels on the inside on each end of the axle. I have not run into this before, but my initial thought was that this was not a good idea for some reason. Is there a reason not to do this? I understand it is cheaper that buying the extra 4 aluminum wheels, but . . . . .

Thanx.

Recently, while looking at trailers online, I found a listing that mentioned that a trailer with aluminum wheels on the outside, and steel wheels on the inside on each end of the axle. I have not run into this before, but my initial thought was that this was not a good idea for some reason. Is there a reason not to do this? I understand it is cheaper that buying the extra 4 aluminum wheels, but . . . . .

Thanx.

I've got steel inside/aluminum outside on my drives...been that way since I bought it, and it's more common than you think. You get some of the weight savings and have the look of aluminum wheels without the expense. Of course, there would be more weight savings with all aluminum....but for all practical purposes, it really doesn't matter.

If you swap the steel rims for aluminum, you have to get longer studs...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thanx.

I personally don't think this a good idea,the company i am leased to runs some trailers with steel wheels inside,aluminum outside the aluminum wheels never seem to "seat" properly, have had to have the lugs re-torqued several times on different trailers. If it were up to me i'd run steel/steel alum./alum. just my 2 cents anyway!....mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It's common, but there should always be one of those plastic spacers between the steel & aluminum wheels to prevent galvanic corrosion between the 2 dissimilar metals.

Actually, when running aluminum wheels on the inside, one of those plastic spacers should be used between the aluminum wheel and the iron brake drum too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"