No Hp

alexb

i have 2000 with 355/380 engine , 10 speed and 386 mack rears . for some reason this truck dies out when it comes to a hill . even when i'm rolling empty i have to down shift up a hill. i bought this truck new and it has always acted this way. could anyone give me info on this??? not sure what to change or it is what it is.

If your truck is a 2000 it should have an E7, Im not an expert but i don't think a 355/380 was offered yet in that year. I could be wrong.

I think your problem is pretty simple, If you do have a 355/380 or an E7 350 your gear ratio is too high. I would assume this set up is in a tractor?

With 3.86 gears and a 10speed your would need to be in the 475-500HP range to have a good combination. I would say a different trans like a 13sp or 18sp would help you out alot. But with only a 10speed and that kind of horsepower, I think you would need a 4.10-4.42 ratio.

Personally I would rather have them "flash" the motor so it puts out all its capable of, and then put a 13sp behind it, simply because the more gear you put back there the slower your top speed will be. Its sucks buzzing the motor at 70 when everyone is flying by CRUISING at 75mph

• 2 weeks later...

truck is geared right, programing is the problem motor makes 380hp at 1400-1500, and something less than that at any other rpm, and I doubt there is any uprate from Mack with out cam and injectors 380/410 would be a better program but I bet its a no go on a 2000, so that leaves aftermarket, blixxton 200 would get you hp but fairly expensive, or you could swap some hotter injectors

bts, Why do they do that? I don't own any newer Macks. Only one older Computer V Mack 400 in a CH an a R mod mech. E6 350 all my newer trucks have Detroit Series 60's why does Mack do something like that? Ernie BULLHUSK

Maxi cruise programming was made for fleets looking for fuel economy not performance 350,400,427 ect. are econodynes totally diffrent hp curve's but the Maxi cruise has very high torque rise

i'm going to bring it in for a dyno to see what it says. I was also thinking about going with a 13sp to see if it helps but not really sure what that's going to do.I know that Mack says that it is suppose to have high torque but i dont really see it. I have a 93 CH with a 350 and i don't really see the diffrence in performance.