Steering On A Mack 20,000 Front Axle

56BMack

I had stopped at the local Mack dealer to talk used Macks. We were talking about a tractor that could be used to pull 150,000 pounds. Also would be used to go off road ( gravel train ). The salesman advise to get a 20,000 front axle, with this axle comes TWO steering boxes, a left & right side and the wide float tires, all for off road use. I couldn't find info on this system. Does this dual steering work in that the left box is turned by the steering wheel and controls the right box by hydraulic lines from the left box? Anyone have this steering and how do you rate it?

Randy :idunno::SMOKIE-LFT:

in NJ we try to stay away from the 20,000lb front and go with the 18,000lb so only one box is used making the steering system simpler. The two box system has been around for a while so i wouldnt be scared of it. Just make sure you service that power steering systm often because it hurts buying one steering box let alone two!

I had stopped at the local Mack dealer to talk used Macks. We were talking about a tractor that could be used to pull 150,000 pounds. Also would be used to go off road ( gravel train ). The salesman advise to get a 20,000 front axle, with this axle comes TWO steering boxes, a left & right side and the wide float tires, all for off road use. I couldn't find info on this system. Does this dual steering work in that the left box is turned by the steering wheel and controls the right box by hydraulic lines from the left box? Anyone have this steering and how do you rate it?

Randy :idunno::SMOKIE-LFT:

That's how the RB & CL models are set up, with the twin (right & left) steering boxes.

Not sure about the RD, never had one of those.

DM models all have a single steering box to my knowledge, at least all the ones I've ever been around.

The twin boxes work just fine, except there are more hyd lines to cause problems

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 2 weeks later...

Both of my dm's have 20k front axles with the single steering box. I can say I have seen plain ol double framed 44 rear r models and superliners etc pulling 150k of coal with pretty good reliability for a long time right up till the new weight laws were passed. If its fairly flat and you have decent drivers I dont really think you'd need anything special as they have been doing it for 30 years or so here in the steep appalachia coalfields. Nobody used double jacks or floats and most front axles were not the 20k's.

• 6 months later...

:bulldog1: My CL has dual boxes on a 20k front. The only problem I"ve had is no matter how clean and tight the fittings are, when it gets cold in the winter they seep and drip down where the crossover lines run under the radiator and onto the concrete. Has done that since new no matter what ive tried. Sure as heck in the spring its fine again, but I usually jack it up and bleed it, and have never had any problems.

Just found this site the other day and I love it. Its great listening to all of this knowledge.